Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

When to give up on specific bullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Silver Member

When to give up on specific bullet

I'm trying out some 120gr TTSX bullets in a 7mm-08. I've been thru 3 different powders working up loads without good results.
I've had good luck with Barnes in other rifles, but not this one so far.

Is it time to move on?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:15 AM
Platinum Member

Re: When to give up on specific bullet

Is the rifle known to shoot well with another bullet?
Old 06-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Get yourself a really good copper cleaning product like MT Xtreme Copper Killer 50 BMG Formula. It might just too much copper build up in the barrel that is causing the horrible groups. Hope this helps.
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Is the rifle known to shoot well with another bullet?

Good question here; I'll pose another. How far are you jumping the TTSX? Barnes like to jump, I've had universal good luck right about .050" off the lands.

t

Old 06-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Silver Member

I was not successful working up loads for the 120 gr TTSX in my Savage 260 Rem LRP. It shoots pretty much everything else very well including the 127 gr LRX, 95 gr VMAX, 140 gr Bergers. It is a target rifle after all. I don't like to think I've quit on that bullet - I'm just pausing for a while.

I find it interesting that you are using the same weight bullet in a very similar case. I'll be interested to hear what you find out.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

I used the 120GR TTSX in my custom 260 with awesome results I had a short action so I just seated out to mag length 2.80, and used 44.5 GR of IMR 4350 with 210M primers could get .5 inch groups at 100 yards , I have a friend that uses the 120 TTSX in his 708 with 4350 and the same primers ,and gets really awesome results . I always use wipeout bore cleaner when I shoot the TTSX this stuff really cleans out the cooper from bore.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:20 PM
Gold Member

The harmonious marriage relationship between a load and a rifle requires that all physical factors be in balance. Caliber, barrel twist rate, chamber dimensions, bullet weight, bullet BC, powder charge, primer type, rifle action and bore condition, bullet seating depth, OAL, etc. Something as simple as an unsuitable twist rate can make load development with a particular bullet essentially impossible. There are a lot of questions to be answered here before any real problem analysis can take place.

American riflemans triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.