Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

When is a flashhole "off-centre"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: When is a flashhole "off-centre"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNbogboy View Post
The flash hole is off center when the de-capping pin enlarges it.IMHO
If that happens, one should use a smaller pin. But I find it hard to believe that using a pin too large will change the hole's center unless there's a big difference in brass hardness from one side of the hole to the other.

Enlarging flash holes quite a bit is a guarantee to get higher pressures and probably higher muzzle velocity spreads. Some folks will use a drill bit one thousandth larger than the biggest hole in a lot of brass so they're all the same size. This is OK to do. I've done it but didn't see any difference in accuracy.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Silver Member

Bart B,
You are so right..What I meant and should have said is that "when the pin gouges the side of the flash hole and elongates it then it is "too" far off center for me....And when it is so far off that it bends the pin you will know for sure....I have seen a few lots of brass and several singles over the years where this has happened to me.....But as far as what the others have seen no measurable differences in accuracy because of off center flash holes....
Randy
Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Silver Member

Here is a brand new "off center"...Totally unusable....One only out of 100
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
When is a flashhole "off-centre"?-offcenter.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Ain't in amazing that machines made and operated by humans make mistakes?

I got a case of a thousand Federal nickle plated .308 Win. cases years ago, three of them had no flash holes at all.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Ain't that the truth...My career is machine design and yep the machine as well as the human operating them make mistakes(including the machine designer)..If I didn't make mistakes I wouldn't have any reason to ask questions and would have been done learning a long time ago because it seems I learn best from my boo-boos...
We are trusting our limbs, eyes and lives to our ammunition component makers so I hope giving them the benefit of the doubt when we run across one of their goof-ups is enough to keep them on their toes...It certainly should keep us as re-loaders awake and always a keen awareness looking for anything and everything that can go haywire....
Randy
Old 05-29-2011, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
WoW!!

I've never seen one that bad, out of many thousands! Mostly Winchester though..??

Reading this post makes me think back on reasons for loading with a powder that really fills the case as much a possible.

Really, just an opinion; no scientific measurements to support, but I see slightly off center flash holes being a problem when the powder is laying on the low side of the case when fired. When the powder is packed full, it shouldn't matter as much.

Old 05-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBruce View Post
Really, just an opinion; no scientific measurements to support, but I see slightly off center flash holes being a problem when the powder is laying on the low side of the case when fired. When the powder is packed full, it shouldn't matter as much.
All the powder lays in the low side of the case when the chamber's horizontally oriented. Gravity always does that.

If the powder density in the case is 100%, then chamber orientation doesn't matter. At any density less than that, there'll always be some space between the top of the case and the powder.

But I don't think that even a case with only 80% powder density will show noticable difference in shot dispersion from flash hole's being anywhere from zero to 100% off center. But there is a difference between the powder's front to back orientation in the case; that's already been proven.

Match grade ammo made in British and Australian cases with Berdan priming didn't seem to have any problems. Loading density was about 90% and both 2- and 3-vent hole versions were used. None of the locak top shots had any concerns about two or three primer flash vent holes all off center in the case head.

Last edited by Bart B; 05-29-2011 at 12:45 PM.