Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

When is a flashhole "off-centre"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 03:17 AM
Silver Member

When is a flashhole "off-centre"?

Ok, so I'm a bit anal about most of my reloading.

On the weekend I opened a new pack of WW 300WM brass to do some sorting.

The weight variation was great; all less than 1% before doing anything to them, but of the 50 cases more than half had visibly off centre flashholes. I suspect that as I got progressivley more frustrated I was maybe a bit too discerning, but nonetheless...

As I'm in South Africa I can hardly send them back! I then opened a more recently purchased pack and found only 4 of 50 that I considered too "off-centre".

I have two questions, as despite years of loading I've never really investigated this beyond culling stuff that looked off!

1. When is off centre too far off centre?
2. Has anyone actually tested this and seen if they really result in poorer ammo?

Thanks.

WL

Old 05-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: When is a flashhole "off-centre"?

When is a flash hole off center? On Tuesdays!

Seriously, it's not all that precise. Forget it unless it jars your eyes to see.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

Greetings in South Africa! I have run into the same issue with Remington Brass but have not found much of an issue with WW. I normally cull them through visual inspection, you can stick a flash hole tool through from the top of the case, I use one thats not sharp from Lyman, that gives you a better visual of the alignment. Also try rolling them on a flat surface or spinning from the pilot on a trimmer, this makes it easier to see. Not sure it makes a huge difference as I have never tested one again another but certainly part of my QC check and wont hurt.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

LRHWAL,

Don't sweat it, it won't make any difference. Some years ago, Creighton Audette did a series of pretty exhaustive tests on this issue for the NRA's American Rifleman. He was testing LC Match brass in 30-06 and had accumulated a pretty good stokpile with grossly off-center flash holes. After testing for pressues, velocity and accuracy against other "perfect" cases from, the same maker, there was virtually no difference. Lot of energy in that little primer, and it'll find it's way through a flash hole whether it's right in front of the center of the anvil or not. No worries here.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Silver Member

Hey Boomtube, no problem, I'll load them on Friday then!

Guys thanks for the input, I was properly ticked off! I've never had trouble with WW before and as I said the following lot was fine.

Feel much better now....
Old 05-25-2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
LRHWAL,

Don't sweat it, it won't make any difference. Some years ago, Creighton Audette did a series of pretty exhaustive tests on this issue for the NRA's American Rifleman. He was testing LC Match brass in 30-06 and had accumulated a pretty good stokpile with grossly off-center flash holes. After testing for pressues, velocity and accuracy against other "perfect" cases from, the same maker, there was virtually no difference. Lot of energy in that little primer, and it'll find it's way through a flash hole whether it's right in front of the center of the anvil or not. No worries here.
Thanks Kevin,

I've always wondered about this, but never wanted to burn the time and money running any tests of my own.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

The flash hole is off center when the de-capping pin enlarges it.
IMHO