Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What's the most likely reason for "Flyer's"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

What\'s the most likely reason for \"Flyer\'s\"

I'll be getting a great 3 or 4 shot group gong and then a rnd hits way out side of the group? Do I need to check the necks? Turn the necks? Weight the brass?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What\'s the most likely reason for \"Flyer\'s\"

If you are getting good groups for 3 shots and they start to open up after 4 it is very possible that it has to do with barrel heat. Let it cool completely and see if that helps.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Well if it were me shooting the reasons would be, in declining order:

1) Choking after getting 3 in there.
2) Uneven cheek weld
3) Yanking the trigger
4) Uneven setup on front and rear bag if shooting off the bench.
5) Deciding that things are "solid enough" when they don't seem all that comfortable if shooting prone off the bipod.
6)Less than good bedding job and barrel heat starts sending things around a bit.
7) Using wrong load
8) Barrels too clean (doesn't happen often)
9) Cartridges out of round.

That's about all the 'excuses' I've personally found. They usually go in order of shooter, then rifle, finally cartridge, assuming that the bench is decent.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Iron worker
#1 reason.............LEUPOLD.........Just kidding [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

most likely be as noted above cheek weld or concentration.
could be your load, do you have a crony?
paralex in your scope

CAM
Old 05-02-2007, 06:12 PM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be getting a great 3 or 4 shot group gong and then a rnd hits way out side of the group? Do I need to check the necks? Turn the necks? Weight the brass?

[/ QUOTE ]

In one word, inconsistnecy. That is the easy part. The more challenging task is to find the root causes for the inconsistency.

James
Old 05-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Don't forget the quality of the trigger. Leave a fired round in your chamber and do some "dry firing". If your crosshairs "wander" a bit it could easily be a trigger with heavy pull or too much travel. Dry firing is REALLY GOOD PRACTICE.....and it costs so very very little!!!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Chawlston

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget the quality of the trigger. Leave a fired round in your chamber and do some "dry firing". If your crosshairs "wander" a bit it could easily be a trigger with heavy pull or too much travel. Dry firing is REALLY GOOD PRACTICE.....and it costs so very very little!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

A bad trigger is still a SOURCE of inconsistency. Inconsistency is the only root cause of poor groups. Now, there are many root causes of inconsistency. Shooting groups is nothing more than a measure of the inconsistency of a firearm, shooter and the ammo he shoots. Heck, we grade our results not by how consistent the firearm shoots, but by how inconsistent it is from the perfect group.

And, that my friend is why we have score shoots as well as groups shoots. Score shoots don't require the hair spitting accuracy to achieve success as the group shoots.

James