Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is your sequence?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is your sequence?

For virgin brass I always de-burr the flash hole and full length resize them. For subsequent firings, Lube the inside of the case necks and then lube the outside. Wipe excess of neck/shoulder area to prevent dimples in shoulder area. Neck size enough to bump the shoulder for easy chambering. clean the primer pocket with the RCBS primer pocket brush. If needed: trim to same length then deburr in/outside of mouth.
Then I take a soft bristle nylon brush that easily fits in the case, but wide enough diameter to brush the inside of the case. I twist this brush back and forth about two-three swipes and this not only cleans out a lot of the carbon deposits inside the case but also removes most of the lube from inside the neck. I wipe this brush off after ever twenty rounds to somewhat "freshen" it up.
If the cases need annealing I will do it now and after they are dry I will bag them up and label them (Fired once, trimmed, prepped and annealled, etc). I keep notes in all my case bags so I know how many firings they're at and at what stage of prepping they're in.
I have a smaller bag inside of another bag. The big one for "stock" (i.e. 2nd firing). These get prepped, loaded and shot first. The small one for after they've been fired (i.e. now 3rd firing).
This system works well for me.
I try to buy my brass for a particular caliber at the same time so I can keep up with this info. I rarely use someone else's brass as I never know the level of use or abuse (hot loads).

"For 300 WSM and other rounds that won't feed unless full-length resized:"

Never heard of this.

JohnnyK.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

It's certainly not universal, but sometimes high-pressure rounds have issues feeding smoothly if not resized fully. This only happens in some of my guns, but it's really bad on my Savage 300 WSM.

Am I perhaps bandaiding the real issue?
Old 11-11-2010, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

I'm talking about the sequence that starts when the bolt is pushed forward and picks up the edge of a round in the magazine. The bolt pushes it forward, through the top of the magazine to the feed ramp where it begins entering the chamber.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Bronze Member

My issue is a tight bolt closing. Then, a nasty tight bolt when opening, even when a round with slightly more aggressively sized brass and the same load opens cleanly with no pressure signs.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 AM
Silver Member

If brass has been sized and fired through the same rifle before does it have to be resized again? Here is what I mean: I started with factory loaded ammo. After first shot with them, I FL resized them just enough to bump the shoulder back .001. Now I am wanting to reload them again and put some in my rifle and they chamber and eject without any problems.
Old 11-21-2010, 04:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker1 View Post
If brass has been sized and fired through the same rifle before does it have to be resized again? Here is what I mean: I started with factory loaded ammo. After first shot with them, I FL resized them just enough to bump the shoulder back .001. Now I am wanting to reload them again and put some in my rifle and they chamber and eject without any problems.
You should be good to go, since you FL sized them and bumped the shoulder back. You may not have to FL size your cases (depends on alot of things), I've had a couple of different rifles that only needed neck sizing, and you can usually buy a neck only resize die. But unless you're shooting a tight neck gun and using "fitted neck" cases, you will have to size the neck back down after every time the cases are fired...........the FL dies take care of this, but sometimes work the case more than necessary.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

I don't trim my cases unless they need trimming. I now the exact chamber neck length in each rifle I own, and keep a chart on each gun. I then trim at about .020" short of the max chamber length (some rifles have a neck that is .070" longer than the case!) I do full length size the case before trimming the case length. After decapping the cases I will then clean them up in a vibratory bowl, and after that give them a close exam. Once that's done, I then decide on what I'm doing next. If they were neck turned cases, I will leave the sizer ball off of the stem when I full length size the cases. Next I will neck size the brass if needed. I used to full length size the brass after cleaning, but had too much trouble with decapping pins.
After the above is done I prime the brass by hand or in my Forster press. From there I'm just like everybody else
gary