Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is your method of working up a load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Banned

What is your method of working up a load?

with so many variables involved and being new to precision reloading(been reloading for many years but not for long range) i was wondering if there is an accepted standard ...as far as starting where to start should you start with testin bullets or testing powders or primers....ect. i understand that to test one variable at a time all the others need to be the same.EX if i am testing bullets the powder and primer should be the same in all cartridges. i guess im asking what is the best way to find the best load for a particular rifle. varibles i am aware of testing are (not in any particular order)
1.bullet-brand,style,weight
2.seating depth
3.powder-brand,burn rate, charge weight
4.primer-brand,type
what is your procedure when working up a load?
Old 02-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is your method of working up a load?

This is my approach,first I decide which bullet I want to shoot,then I will get about 3 different powders that are known to work well with that load.I start 10% below max charge and work my way up until I get pressure signs,I shoot 3 shot groups at this point.I will do this with all 3 powders,shooting in .5 grain incraments.I will then take the best load from the 3 different powders and try to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it by tweaking the powder charge by .2 grains up an down.Then once I found the best charge,I will play around with seating depth to try to fine tune.Primers are the last thing I messs with if I am trying to get a little more accuracy.I try to get 90% there with the powder charge,and just use seating depth and primers as "fine tuning".If I cant find a good load after trying 3-4 powders,I will then try a different bullet.This is just my approach,I am sure you will get some other good aproaches from more experienced shooters than me.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Silver Member

About how many rounds do you figure it takes to find your perfect load? I'm approaching 300 rds. I've shot several groups in the 1's &2's, then the next group will go an inch. It gets frustrating trying to decide between bullet A and bullet B etc.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Banned

im not sure i completely understand your question but if you have one load shooting 2 inch groups and another shooting 1 inch groups then you should do some fine tuning with your 1 inch group load or try a whole new load and hope for sub 1 inch grouping.
Old 02-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

I start within a 1/2 grain of max book and work up from there. I don't mess with seating depth much. I just make sure the rounds fit the magazine and will cycle through. On my customs, I have the smith make a bullet seating gauge that matches the throat in my chamber. I then seat the bullets .002" off the lands. I don't mess with primers, just use whatever I have most of. I neck size only and keep an eye on case length. I strive for under half inch groups with a hunting bullet.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQguy View Post
This is my approach,first I decide which bullet I want to shoot,then I will get about 3 different powders that are known to work well with that load.I start 10% below max charge and work my way up until I get pressure signs,I shoot 3 shot groups at this point.I will do this with all 3 powders,shooting in .5 grain incraments.I will then take the best load from the 3 different powders and try to squeeze a little more accuracy out of it by tweaking the powder charge by .2 grains up an down.Then once I found the best charge,I will play around with seating depth to try to fine tune.Primers are the last thing I messs with if I am trying to get a little more accuracy.I try to get 90% there with the powder charge,and just use seating depth and primers as "fine tuning".If I cant find a good load after trying 3-4 powders,I will then try a different bullet.This is just my approach,I am sure you will get some other good aproaches from more experienced shooters than me.
I use almost the same method but I use my cronograph to find the best SDs and Es.
once I have a real consistant velocity then I play with seating depth to improve accuracy or
different bullets of the same weight.

While working up loads only change one thing at a time or you will never know what change
made the differance good or bad.

Keep good records and analyze the results after each range session and note every change.

At some point it may become obvious that you have a problem with the rifle instead of a
poor load if you can't find a good one.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

My "problem" if you will is that everything shoots great through my 280 Ackley (the result of excellent barrelling and chambering) and I just have the hardest time deciding which bullet to hunt with. I wish all my rifles had this "problem".