Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What was your initial reason for getting into reloading?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Re: What was your initial reason for getting into reloading?

Trap lots and lots of Trap. That was back in the late 50's, when I was a teen.. Then, after a tour in Nam with the Marines, there were 44 magnum hunting loads, and 357 full boat magnum loads. Then there was 38 Special target loads, lots and lots of target loads. Then a 270, a 35 Remington, a 308, several 223s, 45/70s and so on and so fourth. 40 years ago you reloaded to get better ammo, tailored to the gun and properly suited to how you were going to use it. And as a by product you saved money. Today, match grade ammo is available and it shoots very well, in fact there are some standard loadings that shoot well, but I still reload to match the bullet to the gun and it's purpose. But, I do buy the "deals" that are out there on Promo loads, especially 12 gauge trap loads. I like to shoot, I like to tinker, so I like to and still reload.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I got into it because:
1) Get into a new Hobby, it looked cool.
2) fine tune my loads to the rifle.
3) They were threatening a $.05 per round tax in California a few years back.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Platinum Member

Started reloading to keep from blowing a fox in with the 22-250 What I learned was that unless you hallar attem and take the shot past 400 yards or use a 22lr the pelt is gonna be worthless.
30 years and a LOT of rounds later its just a fun/expensive hobby
Old 02-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnek13 View Post
Trap lots and lots of Trap. That was back in the late 50's, when I was a teen.. Then, after a tour in Nam with the Marines, there were 44 magnum hunting loads, and 357 full boat magnum loads. Then there was 38 Special target loads, lots and lots of target loads. Then a 270, a 35 Remington, a 308, several 223s, 45/70s and so on and so fourth. 40 years ago you reloaded to get better ammo, tailored to the gun and properly suited to how you were going to use it. And as a by product you saved money. Today, match grade ammo is available and it shoots very well, in fact there are some standard loadings that shoot well, but I still reload to match the bullet to the gun and it's purpose. But, I do buy the "deals" that are out there on Promo loads, especially 12 gauge trap loads. I like to shoot, I like to tinker, so I like to and still reload.
You aren't in a travelling league per chance? I'm good friends with the President of the MTA. Don't shoot trap myself but I work the trap house ocassionally.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:19 PM

No traveling league in fact any more it is with the Kids, Grand kids and friends.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

I started on stool next to my Father in early seventies. It's just what ya did you bought a rifle, dies, bullets and went the basement that night and developed a tailored load for it. And now I have done the same for my boys and nephew. I cringe seeing the prices for equipment and materials these days. A new guy could go broke starting out with nothing. You will save money over time but is going to take more time. As for the .223 and no savings I would beg to differ. You can buy dog town bullets (cheap) and combining them with #5 powber buys and L.C. brass bulk. Your going to have less $ money and a higher quailty reload then the Steel casing russian bulk ammo.

Gene
Old 02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Bronze Member

I have shot pistols for 20 years. Went hunting elk for the first time 2 years ago. That got me hooked on rifles. Then I got into long range and elr shooting at steel. I started hand loading about a year ago and my 308 load development has reached its peak at 1200 yards on steel. I just built a 300 win mag and im working on loads for it now. I can do 5.56 for just over a 115 bucks per 1k (brass prep sucks) and 9mm and 40 cal hand gun rounds for 8 bucks a hundred. I got into the single stage for accuracy and then got a dillon for 5.56 and hand gun rounds. It is addictive!