Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What are your favorite reloading dies, and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 PM

What are your favorite reloading dies, and why?

I am looking for some new relaoding dies, and would like opinions on what is the best and why.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What are your favorite reloading dies, and why?

My favorite are the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension dies. The are realtively inexpensive, very consistent and produce accurate ammo for me. Plus, for $4.95 (S&H) I get a box of bullets. JohnnyK.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Gold Member

I like the Lee Universal Decapper, Lee Neck sizing die, Redding Full Length resizer and Forster Competion die. I like to Decap then clean and trim etc, then prime and load. Full size is rarely necessary for me unless forming new brass. I necksize fired brass. I did modify the neck sizing die by cutting off the deprimer and then polished the mandrel to get a little tighter sizing of the necks.

This set up works excellent for accuracy without the huge price tag of the redding full blown bushing set up and it could be argued that my set up is a less than ideal, my results would be hard pressed to improve upon.

I use the Forster Co-Ax press, so that may be part of my success as well.

So in a nut shell, I like quality at bargain prices whether it is dies or projectiles or firearms.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:07 AM
Silver Member

What are your current dies, where are they failing you, and what do you wish to achieve?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:57 AM
Gold Member

For my hunting rifles, I prefer Redding Deluxe sets. Reason is because the expander button is long and straight, unlike RCBS buttons that don't 'guide' themselves as they go through the neck. I still have some RCBS dies that I use, but without the expander, and only their neck dies, for all my rifles/cartridges I use Redding body dies for 'bumping' shoulders.
For my F-class rifles, I also use Redding dies, but they are Comp dies with bushings.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

I like the Redding "S" type bushing FULL COMPETITION 3 die set. Most of the time I am only sizing the neck and with the titanium nitrried bushing no lube is required. I also like the fact that a seperate ( the third die) body die is used when you need to bump the shoulder back and I feel this is aids in concentricity. With this system you are only sizing the neck a few thousands and the expander ball has little or no work to do or can even be removed. I feel all of this will greatly extend case life. That will leave the rest of the case to a nice fireformed fit to your chamber. Another great feature of these dies is that they have a retractable sleeve that captures and squares the case to the die before any sizing in done to the neck. Again, great concentricity. I maintain a total runout of .001" or most of the time less.

These dies are a bit pricey, but I feel they are frutal in my attempt to build the most consistant ammo I can. I also feel that helps me at ranges of 1000 yards and over. At those distances I will do anything I can to gain even the smallest amount of consistancy.

Jeff

Last edited by Broz; 09-30-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:06 AM

I have been using RCBS standard dies, and I have had problems with some of my reloads.