Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is your favorite 7MM REM Mag Load?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is your favorite 7MM REM Mag Load?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Lefty7mmstw,
Your concerns are misplaced.

Ruger #1s do not have a bolt.
There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there are 7mmRemMag published data.

I work up to the threshold of long brass life and then back off 4% powder charge with that powder.
Those are usefull loads, not silly lawyered up loads that reduce the 7mmRM to less than what the 7x57mm can do with long brass life.

Sheesh.

I also way overload every rifle and pistol design to see what happens.
I take my rifles WAY past the threshold of long brass life.
I know what they are capable, when the bolt yields, and how much.
There are huge amounts of safety margin between long brass life and where the rifle fails.

This is a 7mmRM at QL 108kpsi fired in a VZ24 I converted from 8x57 to 7mmRM
180 gr VLD moly 70 gr Re17 108 kpsi primer fell out
Alliant's max load for 175 gr is 57 gr, so that case was fired with 13 gr extra powder.
I later hunted with that rifle and shot a deer and an antelope in 2011.
Yep, I've got a #1 also, but mine's a 338. People who intentionally post overloads are why I feel like getting off this site. Posting crap like that will get someone hurt.
Just because a rifle's destructive testing has shown it will take 100K psi doesn't mean every action or piece of brass in that cal. will take anywhere near that much pressure. Normal proof loads are about 30% over normal running pressure and that's it. The 7rem is a bad cartridge running at lower pressure than many of the designs are capable of. But there are rifles in 7rem that do NOT have the headroom to play with extremely heavy loads. Not to mention the fact that the higher pressure you run the rifle, the faster the throut wears and the more action wear you will have and I don't care if you have a bolt or falling block.

In short get a bigger gun if you want to run with the bigger guns.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
Lefty7mmstw,
Your concerns are misplaced.

Ruger #1s do not have a bolt.
There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there are 7mmRemMag published data.

I work up to the threshold of long brass life and then back off 4% powder charge with that powder.
Those are usefull loads, not silly lawyered up loads that reduce the 7mmRM to less than what the 7x57mm can do with long brass life.

Sheesh.

I also way overload every rifle and pistol design to see what happens.
I take my rifles WAY past the threshold of long brass life.
I know what they are capable, when the bolt yields, and how much.
There are huge amounts of safety margin between long brass life and where the rifle fails.

This is a 7mmRM at QL 108kpsi fired in a VZ24 I converted from 8x57 to 7mmRM
180 gr VLD moly 70 gr Re17 108 kpsi primer fell out
Alliant's max load for 175 gr is 57 gr, so that case was fired with 13 gr extra powder.
I later hunted with that rifle and shot a deer and an antelope in 2011.
I have only been reloading about a year. That ^ scares the **** out of me, it should scare you too. I am sure am glad I have a private range and not shooting next to that!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Clark, I would like to consult with you about the pressure of my 7mm STW load. I use 80 gr H4831 and a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip. The primer is smashed flat, but extraction is easy. There are no loose primer pockets. I suspect that I can crank this load up a few grains.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Clark, I would like to consult with you about the pressure of my 7mm STW load. I use 80 gr H4831 and a 140 grain Nosler ballistic tip. The primer is smashed flat, but extraction is easy. There are no loose primer pockets. I suspect that I can crank this load up a few grains.
I had a pressure guage on my last stw- a sendero. It was at 64000 psi at 78 I 7828 with a 140 sierra and a 215. Basically I'm saying you are at or over max already and it doesn't do anyone any good to go farther.
No wonder my brother won't buy a used rifle and rifle makers won't warrant their rifles for people who handload.
h4831 is rather fast for full power loads in the 7stw to start with. You would be much better off with rl25 or retumbo and possibly better off still with one of the 50bmg powder offerings. If you want to read more on this go to the stw brotherhood thread where this has been discussed in depth.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRasmussen View Post
I have only been reloading about a year. That ^ scares the **** out of me, it should scare you too. I am sure am glad I have a private range and not shooting next to that!
Amen to that. It is good to hear there are other sane people out there that actually respect their equipment for the dangers inherent to said equipment. I've seen guns either freeze or come apart from careless handloading. I'm not letting it happen to my rifles.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Thank you for that info about the slower powders. Maybe that is the route to more velocity with this cartridge. It was a good cartridge when designed, but it has been eclipsed by the RUM in my personal opinion.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRG View Post
Thank you for that info about the slower powders. Maybe that is the route to more velocity with this cartridge. It was a good cartridge when designed, but it has been eclipsed by the RUM in my personal opinion.
The 7rum is a bit faster, but not enough to notice. I also shot one 7rum tired in 600 rounds, but my last 7stw was still sub 1/2" at 100 1500 rounds in. IMO the 7stw is better than either the 7rem or 7rum, but it looks like both of the bigger rounds are dead as far as factory stuff is concerned.