Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What would cause a case to split!!!!??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Gold Member

Re: What would cause a case to split!!!!??

so maybe I sized the case too much.. I made sure I left over 0.100 on the case when I sized it.. pretty sure in didn't bump the shoulder any or very little

kasey
Old 10-20-2013, 05:29 AM
Gold Member

If the brass is new then the best thing to do is reduce the load down 10% for the first shot and jam the bullet into the lands but don't extract before firing . This way the case head will not expand backwards . That should blow the shoulder forward taking up any excessive head clearance .
That should fix the problem for that batch of cases while you only have to neck size but as soon as you need to body size it may cause the same issue again if the chamber is cut too deep and a standard die will not reduce the base to fit before it bumps the shoulder .
You keep sizing to fit the case back in but by the time it does fit the shoulder has been bumped too much .
I would definately take it back to the gunsmith and ask for the head clearance to be checked again and make sure you take the head seperated case with you and a few of the other new unfired cases and mention that you think the gun is dangerous .
That should motivate them to check it out properly .
If the chamber is in spec then the suspicion falls on the new brass or the sizing system .
Old 10-20-2013, 08:27 AM

The only rifle I have had that happen on was a Colt Sauer that had to be replaced because of excessive headspace. The factory sent me a brand new rifle in the box.
Old 10-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird1964 View Post
The only rifle I have had that happen on was a Colt Sauer that had to be replaced because of excessive headspace. The factory sent me a brand new rifle in the box.
We had one in .375 H&H, I believe that rear, retractable lock up flexed under pressure.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:23 PM

I think that is why they quit making them. I had another one in 25-06 but I never felt safe shooting it and sold it several years ago. I never had any problem with it but I just did not feel comfortable after the problem with the first one. Smoothest action rifle I ever had.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird1964 View Post
Smoothest action rifle I ever had.
That's why my partner bought his, and as good looking a stock as you find on a factory rifle.