Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

what size groups

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2006, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

what size groups

hi all
i have a nesika 243 AI full hit.
what size groups should i be getting at 200y 300y 500y
i am using 95g vld berger,she is shooting good at 100y as expected.but what can i expect at bigger rangers,

all so is it true that the VLDs like to be shot with jam,as i have only tried of the lands and back from there.it is shooting good at .003 off

thanks
Colin
Old 04-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what size groups

colin , sometimes with VLD bullets you can get better groups at 200yds that at 100yds , something about the bullet "settling down" or "going to sleep" I have a 308 that will shoot 175gr Bergers into the same size groups at 100yds as it does at 300yds. My velocities with this load are a little slow and the barrel is a 1-12 twist so their may be some trueth to the bullets settling down and stabilizing a little more at the longer range.
But if you have a true 1/2 moa gun thenj it should hold that out as far as you want inj theory. so times it can be better sometimes it can be worse the only real way is to shoot it.
As for the bullet seating , I have found that any bullet i have ever loaded like to be seated into the lands for accuracy sake , it will make you loos a little speed due to the presure being a little higher but generaly if the chamber is cut well and you ammo is loaded strait then seating into the lands will yield best accuracy
Old 04-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

thanks JD
how much jam can you go,
and should i be developing my loads at 200y then.

thanks
Colin
Old 04-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
But if you have a true 1/2 moa gun then it should hold that out as far as you want in theory.

[/ QUOTE ]Theory; hmmmmm..... The only way that can happen is if all bullets fired have exactly the same trajectory path. Which only happens when all fired bullets have exactly the same muzzle velocity (0 fps muzzle velocity spread), ballistic coefficient (all fired bullets perfectly balanced and identical in physical properties) and atmosperhic medium they go through (air temperature, humidity, barometric pressure). The only difference would be in the angles they leave the rifle at. Right? What causes the different angles they leave at; barrel whipping and vibrating in all directions but different amounts?

Is there another way it can happen?
Old 04-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Thats why its not a fact.
explain this
How can a get a 2" group at 500yds and a 1" group at 100yds in theory you should have a 5" group at 500yds if the gun shoots to 1 moa at 100yds correct? but how can a gun group to a tighter moa at a longer range than at a short range.
As for the bullets having to leave the muzzel at the same velocity that to is false , I have owned guns that have had extream spreads of as much as 30fps and would shoot under 1/2 moa out to 400yds.

somtimes things happen and nobody knows why when in theory it should never be close to possible
Old 04-30-2006, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

hi this is the stick i am using

this is a five shot group on the lands

this is a five shot group 0.003 of the lands

this is group 1 shot at 300y i only shot 4 on this one

this is group 2 shot at 300 yard

now it was a calm day and i thought the groups should be better than what i got.or am i expecting to much.all groups where shot of bi pod and bag at rear.the rifle is a nesika k round 1.350 single shot 243 AI 270 tight neck right bolt right port, port size target nesika ejector-plunger nesika recoil lug 1.35 x .312 nesika drop bolt nesika fit chamber, cut & crown jewell top safety trigger sunnyhill ss trigger guard mc Milan Lazaroi stock,pillar & glass bedded.
now what i am thinking is do i need to start developing my rounds at say 200y
or what would you lot do.i honestly thought my groups should have been better than what i have.
any help please
thanks
Colin
Old 04-30-2006, 04:15 AM
Platinum Member

Well those groups arn't bad but I'm sure that with some work they can be closed up some.
You diden't mention what barrel your shooting as far as brand , lenght , twist rate.
What is your load data like , what powder , primers ,brass what dies are you using. Are you shooting fire formed brass or is this the forming loads?

Granted you have a great action but the action is a samll part of the puzzel accuracy wise , I have put together Savages that will shoot that well but they were wearing good barrels and their was alot put into the loading.
Another question is who did the building?