Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

what reloading kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what reloading kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burhead View Post
I would buy the RCBS kit that as the chargemaster scale in it. It's around $700. It would be all you would need to get started.
I didn't even know they offered one with the Chargemaster 1500 in it...

That's definitely the route i'd go. That Cargemaster is a huge timesaver. I love mine! After owning one, I'll never reload without one again. Especially once I recalibrated it and did the McDonalds straw trick.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like a good buy.You will certainly be adding things like a good tumbler.You need to start and learn.It would be great if you had someone that you could work with and gain experience.

Read all you can and ask questions.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Neither my dad or granddad reloaded, so I pretty much had to teach myself everything I know, with the help of a few seasoned vets and numerous questions, and LOTS of reading, of course...

Watch alot of ItaqVeteran8888's videos on YouTube. Alot of his videos helped me get started.

First step is getting you a cleaner and a tumbler to clean all your old brass you've been saving...Which is what I did. Then, from there I moved into the whole reloading process.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 PM
Bronze Member

I know I'm a dinosaur, but I don't like the electronic scales and dispensers. Just set your powder thrower a bit low, trickle the right amount into the pan of each charge, dump it into the case, and get on down the road. Use the extra money for the chargemaster to buy a good set of calipers, and a neck sizing die for the rifle caliber you're going to load for. Yes, it slower, but it will give you the time to learn all the things we had to learn before there was such conveniences.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Rick
Old 08-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Good calipers are a must! I use Starrett 799 digital calipers, and they are damn-accurate.

Quote:
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Bronze Member

I personally like the Redding stuff for presses and dies, as far as scales go I would save up till you can get a chargemaster or one similar. All brands are good and will allow you to make better than factory match ammo if you do your part.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:11 PM

RCBS is good gear. I second getting rid of their powder measure, and if you don't go automated look seriously at the Redding BR-30 measure - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/746...powder-measure

RCBS and Redding are my preference, Redding dies are the best. I had an old man who was a dear friend (who owned a gun shop and was a successful Olympic shooter) tell me to always go with green reloading gear, never buy red (Lee). Lyman is worthy, but the green has never done me wrong.

....everybody is going to have an opinion, so find what you like and what fits your budget.