Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

what reloading kit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 03:40 PM

what reloading kit?

i am fixing to buy my first reloading equipment I found a rcbs rock chucker supreme press master kit for $250. is this a good set, brand and deal or should I be looking at something else? what tools will I need that don't come in the kit
Old 08-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: what reloading kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinker31 View Post
i am fixing to buy my first reloading equipment I found a rcbs rock chucker supreme press master kit for $250. is this a good set, brand and deal or should I be looking at something else? what tools will I need that don't come in the kit
The RCBS is a good kit to start with. As a matter of fact, it's the one that I started with. You will likely want to sell the 'uniflow powder measure' as it is not accurate at all. The case lube kit is also not very useful. Other than that, the rest of the kit is just what you need to get started. From there, you might want to add to your kit with a RCBS Chargemaster Scale (it's automated and has an electronic scale). You might also want to get the RCBS Brass Prep Center.

Other things to consider: the priming tool comes set up for large rifle primers. If you plan to shoot anything with a small rifle primer, you will need to get a different plunger and shell holder set-up. (inexpensive)
Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM
Platinum Member

Don't buy a kit....Get up with some folks who reload, and piece your setup together.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

One guy says 'this' and the next guy says 'that'. what's the new guy supposed to learn? that he's 'right' either way? ;-)
Old 08-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
One guy says 'this' and the next guy says 'that'. what's the new guy supposed to learn? that he's 'right' either way? ;-)
Of course....It should just go to show you that since we all use different stuff and all get good results it has alot to do with the reloader's attention to details than it does your equpment. Personally I love my RCBS stuff. But Lee makes good stuff, Lyman makes good stuff, Hornady makes good stuff, etc...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Of course....It should just go to show you that since we all use different stuff and all get good results it has alot to do with the reloader's attention to details than it does your equpment. Personally I love my RCBS stuff. But Lee makes good stuff, Lyman makes good stuff, Hornady makes good stuff, etc...
You are right. And I find that the greatest differentiator is the quality of rifle. A good quality precision rifle can 'cover up' errors in other areas.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Bronze Member

I would buy the RCBS kit that as the chargemaster scale in it. It's around $700. It would be all you would need to get started.