Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What reloading dies are you using?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Gold Member

What reloading dies are you using?

I've been a handloader for many years and have always used the standard RCBS Full Length Dies. Lately I have been reading some of the threads posted regarding several other brands (Forster, Lee, Redding etc). I just took a look at the Midway Website and see they have Forster, Hornady, Lee, RCBS, Redding and others. They have Full Length, Neck, Match, Gold Medal Match, Type S, Bushing. The list is extensive. I want to take my HUNTING handloads to the next level and would like to start by upgading the dies. Let me know what you guys and gals have had good luck with.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Bronze Member

If you're gonna use a 7/8"x14 die I have found the Redding S dies are very good in producing accurate ammo. RCBS has jumped on the bushing die wagon too. Just sizing part of the neck is critical to good ammo especially in factory rifle as well as custom barrels. I have switched to Wilson dies lately and I like them. I can put the press and dies and scales etc and off to the range I go. I have taken my rockchucker and all the stuff too but the arbor press takes less room and more convienent to me. My 2
Old 02-13-2008, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

For hunting, full-length re-sizing provides the feed reliability required. Redding's FL bushing sizer is excellent. A sleeved seater provides straight loads. Redding's has a micrometer which you may not need. Forster's standard seater is an economic alternate.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Platinum Member

15 years ago, when I started loading, I was using the Rcbs dies. Now I have been buying Redding dies - the package set Neck, FL and the seater. I just recieved my first Redding Compatition seater and will give'er a whirl. I tried to load some 22-250 with my old RCBS and I was getting .01 runout on lots of shells that had a .002 or .003 or less runout on the case (that is when I placed the order for the comp seater die).

I really think if I was going to purchase a new cal, I would spend the $ to get the type S neck die, body die and the comp seater die (all redding) for good loads.
The other one that tickles my fancy is the Forster die series.

THe Type S is not immediatly necessary, but it will allow you to turn necks in the future and just to play with neck tension. I am excited about the compatition seater.