Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What press to use for mass quantity .223 rounds ?????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What press to use for mass quantity .223 rounds ?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
One issue I've had with Dillon Precision is the proprietary design of the dies and die holder plate though I'm reasonably sure that can be overcome with some in house machining.

I like the ability to use any die of my choosing.
I used Lee dies in my Dillon 550 and never had one bit of trouble...???
Old 12-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Do you know if the bulk .223 ammo is crimped ? Does all of the semiauto .223's have to be crimped ?

Thanks for all of the info . I believe I am going to get set up to load what I need. Is the 55 grain hornady v max the same vmax that you would load in a 22-250 ?
All factory loads in 223 are crimped as far as I know. Most are used in semi-auto (gas blowback) rifles so the factory crimps them as SOP. Same with 5.56 NATO.

It (reloads) don't have to be, I do, as a rule but I crimp everything, thats me. You don't have a whole lot of neck (or tension) so why chance it. Look at it this way, the rifle cycles, the recoil moves the rifle back and forth, the rounds in the magazine move back and forth..... see my point?? Factory ammo is usually crimped because they have no idea what you use it in, Obviously a single feed bolt gun has no issue. A select fire weapon does.

.223's are 22 caliber projectiles. I don't own or load a 22-250 so I have no idea. You can buy bulk Hornady projectiles at Widners, they are Hornady Factory distributors. I usually get them in 5,000 quantity in 55 grain HPBT's. The Vmax only comes in 100 boxes as far as I know. I usually buy a couple boxes, work up a load and then load them all..... if Widners has any. I suspect that bulk 22 cal anything is hard to find right now and no, I don't want to sell any components.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully2 View Post
I used Lee dies in my Dillon 550 and never had one bit of trouble...???
Sully... I was referring to the bigger (more costly) machines. I like Dillon because they send me that cheesecake booklet every couple months. I'm a sucker for a pretty lass.....
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
All factory loads in 223 are crimped as far as I know. Most are used in semi-auto (gas blowback) rifles so the factory crimps them as SOP. Same with 5.56 NATO.

It (reloads) don't have to be, I do, as a rule but I crimp everything, thats me. You don't have a whole lot of neck (or tension) so why chance it. Look at it this way, the rifle cycles, the recoil moves the rifle back and forth, the rounds in the magazine move back and forth..... see my point?? Factory ammo is usually crimped because they have no idea what you use it in, Obviously a single feed bolt gun has no issue. A select fire weapon does.

.223's are 22 caliber projectiles. I don't own or load a 22-250 so I have no idea. You can buy bulk Hornady projectiles at Widners, they are Hornady Factory distributors. I usually get them in 5,000 quantity in 55 grain HPBT's. The Vmax only comes in 100 boxes as far as I know. I usually buy a couple boxes, work up a load and then load them all..... if Widners has any. I suspect that bulk 22 cal anything is hard to find right now and no, I don't want to sell any components.
Surely you didnt think i was going to ask for any components just ribbing you a little......

Thanks for your advice and help . I think the 22-250 is the same i'll know for sure in a bit . If so my dad has a couple hundred
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 PM
Platinum Member

Widners has a caliber/projectile chart online on their site so it's easy to look. www.wideners.com

Go to the dropdown under reloading components, click on bullets then rifle bullets then 22 caliber.

If you buy from them (online or phone) they require a copy of your drivers license to be on file or a copy of your Class 3. I have both. The won't sell to you without them in their possession.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:45 AM
Gold Member

If money isnt a consern a 1050 hands down. It will even decrimp primer pockets as you go. There isnt anything faster under 2k. If price is a big consern id look at a 550.