Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is my problem with my vertical all of a sudden?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What is my problem with my vertical all of a sudden?

Check that the tang is floated. I've had a couple Savages have a bedding issue that would allow the rear of the action to stress and it went from a solid 1/2 MOA to barely able to keep it on paper, chipped out the bedding and stress free bedded it and it was all back to normal. Scope and mounts are also a common source.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

One other thing to check if your shooting a fresh batch of reloads is neck tension, if its common for you to get about 25lbs of tension and you have some a little over 30 and some close to 40 that explains the bullseyes, the 1.5-2" high, and the 3.5" high.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
Check that the tang is floated. I've had a couple Savages have a bedding issue that would allow the rear of the action to stress and it went from a solid 1/2 MOA to barely able to keep it on paper, chipped out the bedding and stress free bedded it and it was all back to normal. Scope and mounts are also a common source.
I will look at it and see. I am thinking about having the action bedded. It is a factory Accustock, but shot great until the last two times I had it out. I debating on having the Accustock bedded vs. just going all in and ordering a nice stock like a Bell and Carlson or a Macmillan.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
One other thing to check if your shooting a fresh batch of reloads is neck tension, if its common for you to get about 25lbs of tension and you have some a little over 30 and some close to 40 that explains the bullseyes, the 1.5-2" high, and the 3.5" high.
To be perfectly honest with you, I have no idea as to how to check neck tensions. I never have educated myself as to neck tension.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

They make gauges for your press but when your seating the bullets you will notice the difference between 20lbs and 40 you feel a lot more resistance on the lever at 40lbs.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
They make gauges for your press but when your seating the bullets you will notice the difference between 20lbs and 40 you feel a lot more resistance on the lever at 40lbs.
Ok, you have my interest now. So, know you have to school me on how you do this.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

After you have sized, primed, and charged your cases and your ready to seat the bullets take note as to how much resistence it takes to seat them, put all the ones that feel the same together, put the higher and lower resistance rounds seperate and keep track of which is which. The press gauges are a better way but they are a little pricey, mine was over 300$.