Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

what makes lapua brass so good??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Bronze Member

what makes lapua brass so good??

.308 lapua brass why is it so good??
Old 04-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: what makes lapua brass so good??

It is good because one case is about as close to being identical to the next one as you can find. Meaning your carefully measured (weighed, thrown, whatever) powder charges will have the same space to combust in each time. And your bullets will have equal neck tension to overcome each shot.

It all has to be in their manufacturing process and quality controls.

That said, it can still be improved with a little work if the gun, shooter, and purpose is up to it.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

1: Brass overall quality.

2: Case to case consistency.

3: Lot to lot cosistensy.

4: Primer flash holes are smooth.

One peice of brass from a lot 2 months ago is the same as a piece of brass from a lot 2 years ago. VERY consistent weight/volume as well as VERY consistent brass quality and good quality to boot.

Lapua brass lasts longer for me than other brands and I dont have to adjust my loads for volume issues when switching to a new lot.

To me, this is worth the extra $$.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
1: Brass overall quality.

2: Case to case consistency.

3: Lot to lot cosistensy.

4: Primer flash holes are smooth.

One peice of brass from a lot 2 months ago is the same as a piece of brass from a lot 2 years ago. VERY consistent weight/volume as well as VERY consistent brass quality and good quality to boot.

Lapua brass lasts longer for me than other brands and I dont have to adjust my loads for volume issues when switching to a new lot.

To me, this is worth the extra $$.

Yup, if you place any value at all on your time and aggravation then buying top end brass from the get go is a much better deal than sorting through cheaper brands to find enough good ones.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Well, gee, I'd add something here but there's nothing left to add! Good quality material, very strict QC in manufacture.

That attention to detail gets it done every time.

Kevin Thomas
Berger Bullets
Old 04-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Silver Member

Besides the above posts, believe the stamped ring around the primer hole provides a mechanical advantage allowing the primer holes to stay tight after repeated firings as well.

Might have to work something up to help out some non Lapua brass and see if this will make a difference.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Gold Member

I'm a firm believer in Lapua brass, so much so that I have based my last 4 different calibers around the available Lapua brass. Most racent being a 338 LM AI. Was all set and had the action even ordered for a 338edge then changed it over to the 338 LM AI because of the ability to use Lapua brass.