Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What if my necks are tight enough to hold a bullet firmly AFTER firing..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 12:57 PM
Silver Member

Re: What if my necks are tight enough to hold a bullet firmly AFTER firing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
In a .332 ND chamber you have to turn necks anyway, you may as well turn a wee bit more for SAFE clearences. Even if your loaded rounds are .329-.330 you still wont be able to push a bullet in a fired case by hand. While it seems like a good idea to just shoot them and reseat a bullet it, getting concistent neck tension isnt always possible. It (IMHO) is much more concistent to neck size them for concistent results. I have toyed around with tight neck chambers and found that with that much neck turned off, and after FL resizing (the neck is smaller than the FL die and doesnt touch the neck) and then neck sizing there wasnt any runout worth sweating over. The downrange groups told the tale as well. She regularly shot 1/4 MOA. This was a 300 RUM with a .333 ND. One other reason I used this method (aside from keeping it safe) was some loads prefered .002 neck tension and others preferd .003 and yet another prefered .004. This allowed me to simply swap bushings in my neck die.
I have considered the neck tension issue you brought up, I will probably end up testing both.

Thanks,
John
Old 12-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Lightvarmint

Remember, when Virgil was shooting in the warehouse, he was using smaller type cases that do not hold as much powder and do not produce as much "ash" as the bigger guns. With the larger guns that produce healthy "ash" deposits, you might notice the necks getting every so slightly tighter the more you shoot (that is until you clean) if you are not sizing your brass, that could lead to neck tension that is not equal across the shots you are attempting to group.

Non-uniform annealing will cause neck tension variances as well. That is why some guys at BR matches shoot their best groups on friday when they are forming brass for the weekend........ Specifically, the virgin brass is very uniform in neck tension when turned to the same thickness.

Lightvarmint
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Gold Member

In my 6x47L with .272" no-turn neck... fired Lapua cases measure .2717-.2718 (Lyman micrometer), sized cases measure .2689-.2691. I can just push a bullet into the neck of a fired case with hand pressure. Pretty much the same as I had earlier on a couple 6mm BRs w/ .272" no-turn neck... very accurate and no problems.