Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What if my necks are tight enough to hold a bullet firmly AFTER firing..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

What if my necks are tight enough to hold a bullet firmly AFTER firing..

Post re-opened

Last edited by Marine sniper; 12-06-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What if my necks are tight enough to hold a bullet firmly AFTER firing..

I'm assuming it was a mistake or you figured out that you need to turn your necks due to a tight neck chamber...?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by britz View Post
I'm assuming it was a mistake or you figured out that you need to turn your necks due to a tight neck chamber...?
No, after thinking about it if I did not resize them they would loose a percentage of spring back after every firing, so I would end up with a slightly different neck tension with a different number of firings...

I do neck turn them before I shoot them.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Gold Member

I don't think they would ever loose enough spring back to give you the recommended .003" clearance around the neck on a loaded round.

Sounds like you need to neck turn more off.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Silver Member

I think it could be work hardening or springback, but you should re-measure what you are working with, it could be too tight. It may be only a few cases, when turning make sure your cutter does not get hot, if it does, it will cause cutting variations. How much clearance are you getting or trying to get and how many reloadings are on your brass? Also, make sure you are getting all of the carbon or soot out of the necks, it will take up space as well.
Ron Tilley
Old 12-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

OK guys, since you are responding to the post I deleted I guess I should put the original posts' thoughts back up.

What I was going to try was not resizing my brass after I fired them. I have a tight neck (.332) 300 Wby and noticed the other day that a fired piece of brass's neck is so tight that I can not press a bullet back into the neck with my hands. I thought "hey" this may be a way to cut down on run out, why not just knock the primer out, anneal the case, and go for it ?? The brass would be as close to perfect as possible.

I run a total of .001 neck clearance, so may it would work after all ? The only thought I had that would cause issues is if the brass did not completely spring back with each subsequent firing I would loose a little neck tension, but since I anneal after every firing, and only have .001 clearance anyway....it might work ??????

John
Old 12-06-2008, 11:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillroot1 View Post
I think it could be work hardening or springback, but you should re-measure what you are working with, it could be too tight. It may be only a few cases, when turning make sure your cutter does not get hot, if it does, it will cause cutting variations. How much clearance are you getting or trying to get and how many reloadings are on your brass? Also, make sure you are getting all of the carbon or soot out of the necks, it will take up space as well.
Ron Tilley
I am vigilant about cleaning the necks, probably ridiculous, but it seems to have a direct effect on ES.

I get 5-6 firings per piece of brass.