Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What the heck happened here...???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 08:56 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What the heck happened here...???

Was there any unburned powder in the action or mag box like the bullet pushed into the shell? I had one do that and some powder spilled into the barrel in front of the bullet and it caused a pressure spike that expanded the primer pocket about three times the primer size and had a puff of black smoke around the bolt, I took it to a gunsmith and had it checked and it was his opinion that was what happened from seeing all of the powder inside the action.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nheninge View Post
The barrel looks to be intact no bulge, no obstruction. An obstructed barrel would cause a very different explosion and would not explain why the base of the case blew out. It was a remington stock gun with factory remington ammo. The gun was shooting off the bench at a range and previous shots were fine and the round immediately preceding went bang with no hint of problems. Everything is going back to remington. I agree that the problem seems to be with this single round (wrong powder, spiked). I just wanted to see if anyone had an issue like this before or could at least tell me what exactly happened according to the laws of pressure.

On another note, I had the polymer tips falling off a box of winchester 7mm silvertips. Unexplained flyers were suddenly explained. Never shot factory ammo again. Likely never will again.
You are a lucky s.o.b.. I've only personally saeen this once with factory ammo and never with handloads. Back when I was in high-school I was at the local range and some poor guy was sighting in his 243 with fed. ammo. Next thing you know he's asking for help getting his action open. Same crap with blown open primer cup and brass damn near fused to the action. Never heard what happened afterward.

To get that kind of failure you'd have to be somewhere between 80 and 100 KPSI, roundabout anyway.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

Makes me wonder if the gun had previously been using handloads that were over pressure? Possibly, stressing the action to the almost breaking point.

So many possibilities.

I'm with bigngreen here. Get ahold of the manufacturer.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 AM
Gold Member

Glad no one was injured. Please KEEP us informed. One of us could be next???????
Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

first if there was no mistake on ammo contact the ammo manufacturer with the lot number and contact remington and contact your household insurance agent, Many years ago (94) I had a gp100 go boom in my hand, the cylender opend like a clam and the top of the frame resembled a camel. My insurance had me bring it to a smith for inspection then after that they replaced it for me then they went to the ammo manufacturer for their $ back.
Good luck
Old 10-14-2012, 08:50 AM

Have there been any indications of excessive headspace before this happened?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 AM
Silver Member

Sorry took a while to post reply. Damn work getting in the way of a perfectly good hobby... No handloads ever through this gun and this gun was fairly new with maybe 100 rounds through it. I like the theory the bullet may have pushed back but no powder in the action. However after dissection of the action by blunt force trauma not likely to see any. Way over pressure for sure. Pistol powder in the case? All components going back to remington where likely replaced. Glad didn't need that round for self defense!