Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is a good set up for case trimming & neck turning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Bronze Member

What is a good set up for case trimming & neck turning

I was doing a little reading over on AccurateShooter and came across a system that seems pretty functional in terms of a lath, case trimmer, and neck turner...I think it also had a concentricity guage and who knows what else (I don't have the page infront of me at the moment)

But it was very pricey (several hundred) for the whole set up and all the different parts.

Could anyone recommend a competition worthy alternative to this set up that would be easy to use, but at a lower cost?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: What is a good set up for case trimming & neck turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300magman View Post
I was doing a little reading over on AccurateShooter and came across a system that seems pretty functional in terms of a lath, case trimmer, and neck turner...I think it also had a concentricity guage and who knows what else (I don't have the page infront of me at the moment)

But it was very pricey (several hundred) for the whole set up and all the different parts.

Could anyone recommend a competition worthy alternative to this set up that would be easy to use, but at a lower cost?
Which machine are you talking about ? Your description could fit anything from 10" or larger lathe to hand held 12v screwdriver. A "machine" that can act as a lathe/trimmer/neck turner/concentricity gage/ and "whole set" at "couple" hundred seems like a bargain if it's accurate.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 AM
Gold Member

I'm using Forster Original Case trimmer, you can buy one at Midway for 60 bucks. Then you can buy addons like neck turner and neck reamer... The only drawback are long cases like from 270 win, I have to do research how to use it for neck turning, trimming and reaming works perfectly, so its limited in my cases to 308 and 223 brass. It looks like I got wrong model, Forster also makes Classic Case Trimmer for long cases...
Old 05-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx-) View Post
I'm using Forster Original Case trimmer, you can buy one at Midway for 60 bucks. Then you can buy addons like neck turner and neck reamer... The only drawback are long cases like from 270 win, I have to do research how to use it for neck turning, trimming and reaming works perfectly, so its limited in my cases to 308 and 223 brass. It looks like I got wrong model, Forster also makes Classic Case Trimmer for long cases...
Jinx, I am also using the Foster Original Case Trimmer - it is an excellent choice. At the bottom of the main bearings there is two settings for the bearing screws. For .270 you should fit the bearings at the outmost position. This will give +-1-2 cm clearence from the cutter unit to the case mounth.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:18 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry for not being specific, I guess I was too tired to be typing

The equipment I was looking at was the 21st Century shooting system.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 PM

I was looking at the same thing you are talking about (21st century) it looks like a nice system. I was also concerned about the cost. I'm new to turning necks myself .It looks like nobody here uses this system so i'm still looking don't want to be the ginny pig,you know....

Last edited by rlbrlb; 05-15-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reloader222 View Post
Foster Original Case Trimmer - it is an excellent choice.
I disagree.

I have had a Forster trimmer with neck turner for years, and never did like it. Found that the Wilson is a much better trimmer - more accurate and makes clean cuts. But, the Wilson is not cheap with all the case holders needed for various calibers.

The Forster neck turning unit is difficult to set up, and the cut across the neck is very rough. I use it only when I need to take more than .0008 or so off the neck initially to get down to where I want it. After I run it down that far, and want to go another .0003 or so, I use a K&M neck turner, which is excellent.