Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What else to reload 308 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What else to reload 308 ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devestator View Post
So is the precision mic set a useful thing to get? and the hornady comparator set i added says its designed to be used with something else too. Can someone please explain what the difference is between the hornady comparator and this:

Redding Instant Indicator Comparator Dial 308 Winchester

And heres a link to my list again:

MidwayUSA - Wish List

Is there anything that anybody can think of that ill still need other that the ammo components? Or is there anything that i really dont need or is a waste of money or is almost the same as something else or needs something else to work?

Ive been trying to research on my own but when people start talking about headspace and ogive and measuring all that and the chamber i get confused.

Do i still need a comparator if i get the precision mic? Should i even get the mic?
You need the KNOWLEDGE. That was in the first few posts. Having all the tools and the components does nothing without some first hand knowledge. I know you are hell bent on equipment but you need the loading manuals and a couple trips to your library and do some reading FIRST.

At least you are loading for and shooting centerfire cartridges so those little holes on each side of the receiver will save your ass when you overcharge a case and if you undercharge or fail to properly seat a projectile, you'll be driving it out of the bore with a cleaning rod.

Just stay away from black powder. No holes in the receiver for that.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

I know i need knowledge... But the RCBS supreme kit comes with a reloading manual, and i know of a guy that reloads 223, so im planning on tryin to head over there at some point, either way, i still need the equipment and im GOING to reload at some point one way or the other. And thats why im asking about what people use/like/dont like. even if i knew how to do it i dont wanna buy stuff just to find out its junk...
Old 02-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

INO, the only junk you'll get is at Harbor Freight.

I don't really want to open a can of worms but if you are ultimately planning on F Class competiton, you might as well start out with the proper dies as far as concentricity is concerned and that isn't RCBS or Hornady or Lee. It's Redding bushing dies but you need the brass and bullets on hand to ascertain the proper neck tension to order the correct bushings.

Not all dies sets are created equal and not all die sets have the expander ball in concentric alignment with the sizing bore. I'd get the standard die sets and then get bushing dies after you get your feet wet. You can always sell the standard dies. Flea Bay has 'em everyday. So does the buy-sell section of this forum.

We all have personal preferences, in my case I like the Redding FL and NS dies but I like the RCBS Competition front load bullet seater so I buy my die sets piecemeal. I also like the Lee collet crimpers and I crimp all my rounds that I use in magazine fed rifles.... Thats just me.

Finally, everyone says the spray can lube is crap but I've never stuck a case using the Hornady One-Shot with a zip lock bag and 50 brass or so. Spray and shake works for me.

Some may agree and some not but what works for me, might not work for you.

Thats why those little holes are in your receiver................
Old 02-18-2013, 09:00 AM
Gold Member

first of all, only believe HALF of the "information" you get on the net.
Find a willing reloader and learn from them after READING several reloading tomes.
As for Winchester brass, my .308 will shoot 1/2 MOA to 700 yds. with it.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
What on earth is the issue with a Redding case trimmer. I have one and use the hell out of it. Admittedly, I don't crank it. I got the power adaptor and use my Dewalt power screwdriver to drive it....

I agree with that to a certain extent but then I own a Rolex so Lapua Brass is just fine with me. It's the 'status' headstamp. However, I wouldn't even consider Winchester brass in any caliber.
I love my Lapua brass for my .308. They've been great so far.

Also, the ONLY Winchester brass I'll use are nickle-plated brass, b/c they don't tend to grow as badly.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
What on earth is the issue with a Redding case trimmer. I have one and use the hell out of it. Admittedly, I don't crank it. I got the power adaptor and use my Dewalt power screwdriver to drive it....

I agree with that to a certain extent but then I own a Rolex so Lapua Brass is just fine with me. It's the 'status' headstamp. However, I wouldn't even consider Winchester brass in any caliber.
I crank and must be a lousy cranker because I get varied lengths with the RCBS/Redding depending on pressure. Not so with the Wilson. Besides, the Wilson coordinates much more nicely with a Rolex

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

I use a Lyman case trimmer, and it works great. Came with both crank handle and the spare one for using with a drill. Haven't tried the drill one, but the crank handle one works just fine.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.