Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What else to reload 308 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM
Bronze Member

Re: What else to reload 308 ammo?

Heres the list i put together on midway:

MidwayUSA - Wish List

Lemme know if the link doesnt work...

Anything else i would need?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:42 AM
Bronze Member

Sort the list by description, it would make it easier to go through.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:39 AM

You can get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $20 with shipping:
Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

Order two calipers and you will have a back up set.

I would not get the Lapua cases. The Winchester cases will work fine and cost about half as much.

I and most of the guys I shoot with are using the Sierra SMK 168 and 175 for paper. I like the Nosler Accubonds (165 gr.) for hunting.

Varget is a great powder for the 308, but it does not meter well so you may as well get a powder trickler as you are going to need one.

I would also look around as Midway looks a little high priced compared to other sites that I have seen. Compare to Natchez for an example.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devestator View Post
Heres the list i put together on midway:

MidwayUSA - Wish List

Lemme know if the link doesnt work...

Anything else i would need?
I just set up my son in law who had never reloaded. Took about a week for him to produced match grade ammo. I did walk him through the process and had him read my old Sierra reloading manual. You list is fine to get started. Some additions to your list:

A body dye or full length sizer dye in addition to your neck dye.
A case trimmer. Either a dye/file type, or if lathe , Wilson, not iRCBS/Redding.
A tumbler and media to clean your cases.
A bullet puller
A stuck case remover

After a few firings your cases WILL need to be trimmed and resized. I agree with a prior post. In 308 the only difference you see between Lapua and Winchester brass will be the weight of your wallet. You will definitely find out why a tumbler is a good investment.IMHO.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 02-14-2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
You can get a digital caliper from Harbor Freight for $20 with shipping:
Digital Calipers - Save on these 6 Inch Digital Calipers

Order two calipers and you will have a back up set.

I would not get the Lapua cases. The Winchester cases will work fine and cost about half as much.

I and most of the guys I shoot with are using the Sierra SMK 168 and 175 for paper. I like the Nosler Accubonds (165 gr.) for hunting.

Varget is a great powder for the 308, but it does not meter well so you may as well get a powder trickler as you are going to need one.

I would also look around as Midway looks a little high priced compared to other sites that I have seen. Compare to Natchez for an example.
DO NOT buy cheap calipers!

If there is 2 places you don't want to skimp on money it is your calipers, and your grain scale.

I use the RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 dispenser and scale.

And I use a Starrett 799 caliper. Starrett is some of the most precision measuring equipment available to the public.

Neither of those are inexpensive, but if you want to have accurate reloads, I suggest NOT skimping on a scale and a caliiper.

Buy whatever cases you want, but if you want precision reloads right out of the box, and excellent case life, get the lapua...

Any brass will work, and any bullet will work..... I have just found that high-quality components make for incredibly accurate reloads. And my gun loves the reloads I use with my Lapua brass.

I would love to buy from Natchez.....But they don't ship to Alabama for some reason. I think they also don't ship to GA, too... I don't know what all that's about, but either way, they'll never get my business. I'll stick with Midway. Never had any issues with them, and 99% of my orders have gotten here in 3 days w/ UPS Ground shipping.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

I was actually just looking at the chargemaster 1500, it looks nice, but for $300+ that might have to be something I get at a later date lol

Also, what tumbling media should I use? I see walnut, corn cob, and steel. I'm kinda guessing steel last the longest and you can use it over and over more, but I'm also guessing that it wears the brass out faster maybe?

I'm in the process of updating my list I'll post when I'm done.

Thank you all so much for the suggestions! I would literally be lost without your help lol
Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM
Bronze Member

Yet another question... Whats better to get in terms of full length sizer dye? The RCBS competition full length sizer dye? Or the RCBS gold medal match full length sizer dye?

Heres the link to the competition one:

RCBS Competition Full Length Sizer Die 308 Winchester

And heres the gold medal one:

RCBS Gold Medal Match Series Bushing Full Length Sizer Die 308