Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What else to reload 308 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What else to reload 308 ammo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devestator View Post
Another question, i was looking at the RCBS supreme press kit that was posted on here earlier, and it says i just need a shell holder and dies, now i found a 308 shell holder for $7.99, and i was looking at dies but again i have no idea what im looking at, is this all ill need?

RCBS Competition 2-Die Set 308 Winchester

If someone could post links and make a shopping list of everything I'd need I'd greatly appreciate it. digital calipers were also mentioned, any specific ones?

I obviously wont start to mess with anything until I've read through the included book a few times

Thanks in advance!
Are you gonna be reloading ammo YOU have already shot out of YOUR gun? If so, get a neck-sizer die, so your brass stays fire-formed to your chamber. Your reloads will be more accurate.

This is what I use and it works perfect once you get the die setup.

RCBS 2-Die Neck Sizer Set 308 Winchester

Also get some of these, they come in alot more handy than you can imagine.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/857...-plastic-green

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 PM
Bronze Member

Yes i have about 180 already fired cases that ive put back in the boxes after ive shot them. Ill probably end up buying more at some point though, in case i need anything special for that lol

And thanks for those links, ill go check them out now.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

I highly recommend the Lapua brass.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 10:47 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the suggestion, ill definitely go with that then, how many times can you reload brass? Or can you just keep reloading it until it shows "pressure signs" or whatever those are lol... Im sure the reloading book will explain those lol...
Old 02-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

You can reload them till you see pressure signs. So far the Lapua seems like it will be very good and long-lasting.

If you don't know what pressure and wear signs are on brass you need to do ALOT of reading before you start reloading.

Quote:
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 PM
Bronze Member

I will dont worry, ive just never done it n havent even seen it done, just read online about it. So i have no personal experience with it.

Btw, are these the primers that i would use for 308? Large rifle primers?

Federal Premium Gold Medal Large Rifle Match Primers #210M
Old 02-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Yep, those would be the correct primers. I use either Fed 210 or Fed Gold Medal Match 210 primers. I've found both to work equally, honestly. Some say the Match primers are better, but they cost the exact same, and I haven't had any issues with the standard Federal 210 primers yet.

Quote: