Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What else to reload 308 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

What else to reload 308 ammo?

If i was to buy this:

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit

What else would I need on order to start reloading 308 ammo?

I know i obviously need bullets, and i wanna try out hornadys 178gr bthp, which has a .53 BC. i know ill need powder too, and it seems like varget is pretty much what everyone uses. But what else? I keep reading online about dies and case trimming but i have no idea what that stuff is.

Im trying to get into 1000yd f-class and maybe a few other types of competitions, but i cant find any
damn ammo and what little i do find either wont work at 1000yds or its just one box of 20, which isnt even enough to practice, or its $60 for a box of 20, which is plain outrageous...

I have a Marlin X7VH 308, which has a 26" heavy barrel, a 1:12 twist, and an adjustable trigger. I also have a Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 4.5-30x50. With that setup i was able to shoot a .43" center to center group at 100 yards with winchester hunting ammo.

Thats just a little background on me so you know what im "gunning for" lol... Pun intended...
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What else to reload 308 ammo?

We can tell you what you need, why you need it and how to use it, but it's going to be difficult to understand as we all have opinions on these 3 things. FL die, neck die, bushing neck die, seater die, comp seater die? It's very difficult to get "starting out" info from a forum when most people on here have been doing it for years, if not decades.

Before you buy any equipment....

1 Buy a reloading manual and read it.

2 Read it again.

3 Try and find someone in your area who already reloads and pick their brain for info, or better yet ask them to mentor you.

After doing 2 out of 3 of these you'll have a much better understanding of what and why you will need.

Good luck and be safe,
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM
Bronze Member

Well im going to start at some point either way, and that hornady kit comes with a reloading manual. Is that a decent starters kit?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Bronze Member

As far as kits go I'd recommend spending the extra $40 and get the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme. I say that for 2 reasons. 1, the RCBS comes with a beam scale and 2, it comes with the lube pad. The spray lube sucks.

I apologize if I offended you with my first comment, glad to see another person in the sport as we need more. It's just that I've seen people spend hundreds on equipment and then decide it's not for them, but you sound like one who is going go through with it. It's a great sport, very rewarding when you find that one load that shoots in your rifle.

Good luck,
Old 02-11-2013, 08:03 PM

Get the RCBS kit from Natchez for $289 and a set of RCBS dies to get you over $300 then grab the $50 mail in rebate from RCBS.com.

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - Natchez Shooters Supplies

Then get a set of dial calipers from Harbor Freight and you should have everything you need to get started.

Be safe.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

either kit will do everything you want, which is get you started. order a set of dies ( i like hornady) , bullets, powder, primers and get your feet wet. you will love the feeling of pulling the trigger even more when you have made the ammo. AJ
Old 02-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Bronze Member

No offense taken metalhead, i can understand what your saying. I have kinda tossed the idea around for a while now but never went through with buying anything. But with ammo prices the way they are its way cheaper in the long run and ill get better accuracy results with hand loading. Right now its almost $2 a shot and i can barely find anything of real quantity.

So RCBS is pretty much the top of the line press? I was just interested in the lock n load thing hornady has, but again i have no idea if its much of a benefit anyhow. They also have the hornady deluxe kit

Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Deluxe Kit

But im just throwin that out there, if everyone pretty much agrees RCBS is the way to go ill obviously go that way.

And thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice!