Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What does this tell me?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2009, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: What does this tell me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabelas90 View Post
So what you are saying is that even though I neck size I should probably FL size every 3rd to 4th shot depending on my gun to extend case life right?
Not exactly. You should FL size every 3rd to 4th shot depending on your gun TO RELIEVE THE CRUSH FIT. You will get the most case life by neck sizing forever but if you develop a crush fit (and can't or don't want to live with it) then you need to FL size so that you can chamber your cases easier.

What you don't want to do is FL size and push your shoulder back further than it needs to be pushed back. If you push it further than it needs to be then you force the case to expand more than necessary and increase work hardening which will decrease case life. It will also increase chances of a case head separation because of thinning at the pressure ring.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

great hread and great diagrams woods. so just to clarify for myself a crush fit is when you feel slight resistance on the bolt handle as its closed. would it be good to feel for this withouut the extractor and so on on the bolt face so there was no spring and feel from that
cheers
Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Thanks that makes sense!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreign View Post
great hread and great diagrams woods. so just to clarify for myself a crush fit is when you feel slight resistance on the bolt handle as its closed. would it be good to feel for this withouut the extractor and so on on the bolt face so there was no spring and feel from that
cheers
I don't go that far but it is hard to feel a slight crush fit on some bolts. Some bolts have a lot of lug contact and are hard to close, even empty. However, you can definitely tell when your cases have grown enough to really bind and with the headspace gauge you can measure it and set your die to move the shoulder back .001" to .0015".

Many reloaders do not like to have their shoulders that close because in the field and piece of trash can cause a problem and you do not want the distraction of having to grind your case into the chamber when you have game in sight and it matters. Always, give extra room for easy chambering if there is dangerous game or bears in the picture.

One thing that is obvious is that until you reach the point where you can set the shoulder in the exact same place everytime along with sizing the case body the same everytime, you have a case that is changing. Consistancy is one of the most important elements of accuracy.