Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Mudrunner,

My apologies for this one, but I don't recall ever getting a PM from you on this. However, I've answered this same question so many times over that I may have overlooked it. No, you're not the only one who has made this suggestion. I hear it a lot, and it gets passed on to the Finns . . . repeatedly.

I don't know when they'll start this line, or even if they will, but on my last trip over to the factory, it was a topic we had a long discussion about. The 300 WM is the 800 lb gorilla right now, and with all the military contracts based on this one cartridge, I suspect it'll be the one that finally gets things running. They've never made either belted cases or this (.532") head size before, so the tooling and initial operating costs would be substantial, and I understand their hesitance in this regard. My suggestion was to go with the 300 and 375 H&H cartridges, due to their extra length. If you go with these as your base line, the entire family of .532" cases becomes much more easily available; the H&H cases, the Weatherby family, the 458 Lott, and the entire range of short mag cases from the 264 on up to the 458 Win. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but will be more than happy to share whatever I can just as soon as I know
more about this.
Kevin, I was hoping I had it still sitting in my "sent" folder, but I apparantly deleted it. It's not a big deal. Don't sweat the small stuff.

I was just fixing to say, if they have the tooling for the base of .532" belted magnums of the .375 H&H case, they can do the .257 Wby Mag, 7mm RemMag, and 7mm STW brass I have been longing for.

I know the STW guys (including myself) need some other option for brass, since Nosler has damn-near priced themselves through the roof, Rem brass sucks, Winchester STW brass is about impossible to find, and Federal brass seems to be splitting after 3-4 reloads... There just doesn't seem to be a good solid option anyway you look at it.

I love Lapua brass, and would be ecstatic if they jumped into the belted magnum realm.

I have an idea for a non-belted, belted magnum case that should last longer than standard cases, I will PM you to see what you think...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

Kevin, you have an inbound PM.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.