Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMERSS View Post
Mark,

I will run new brass thru an expander die before seating. This with establishing more consistent neck tension for that first round.
Sounds like a good idea but I don't have an expander die. using the crude method of spinning the neck in my calipers, a sample of cases seemed to be perfectly round. Just seated a bullet in one of the 223 cases and the neck only grew 1 thou and about .002 runout. I can live with that.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams

Old 06-12-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
the only thing i do is lightly chamfer the case neck . nothing else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
With my Lapua .308 Win brass, I remove from package, insert primer, load powder charge, insert bullet, press bullet, then shoot it.

I have found that all the Lapua .308 brass I've ordered was so concentric and perfect that after thorough inspection of about 50-75 of the first 100 I just went ahead and decided to load them up.
I might try a batch of 223 without doing anything but chamfering and see if there is any noticeable difference with the cases I prepped.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Glad to see your getting ready for that 6-284 I'm still in love with mine.

I use Lapua brass as well. I use an S-type bushing die & neck down in 2 or 3 steps which seems to create a little more consistency at the final size compared to just crunching them down in one step.

I did try to deburr the flash hole but never found any burrs to remove! So, i'll quit doing that with my next batch.

I do uniform primer pockets, it seems to me (as I recall from memory) that they did take a little clean up.

I do use a VLD chamfer tool on the inside of the neck.

OAL was still incredibly consistent, I don't recall trimming the cases. I also measured case neck thickness to determine if turning was going to be necessary. It was not IIRC, necessary.

I considered weight sorting but, with the level of consistency I found everywhere else I figure it too, to would be a waste of time.

t
My smith just got the Broughton barrel last week . I should be getting it in about 3 weeks for break-in then off to H&M for nitriding which should take another couple of weeks or so. By end of July, I should be regulating PD's. You should come up to Roundup and help me for a couple of days

Got my 105 Hybrids last Sat. They are some purdy looking bullets.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
My smith just got the Broughton barrel last week . I should be getting it in about 3 weeks for break-in then off to H&M for nitriding which should take another couple of weeks or so. By end of July, I should be regulating PD's. You should come up to Roundup and help me for a couple of days

Got my 105 Hybrids last Sat. They are some purdy looking bullets.

I just happen to have a couple days of vacation left, we might just be able to do that.

I've been thinking about the the Hybrids but the SMK shoot SOOO good. If I change bullets it will be for the DTAC's or the Matrix 117.

t

Old 06-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I might try a batch of 223 without doing anything but chamfering and see if there is any noticeable difference with the cases I prepped.
So far, I haven't had to do anything, and they've shot great. They shoot even better the 2nd reload on once they're fireformed, but they shoot excellently from the very first load....From my experiences.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Gold Member

For my 6br brass I run my expander mandrel through it...trim the necks, then turn the necks...then load em...never worry about the flashholes..they dont need any deburring. Sometimes the necks have been dented or bent during shipping hence the use of an expander mandrel as the 1st step.

same thing with my 284 when using thier 6.5x284 brass.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I just happen to have a couple days of vacation left, we might just be able to do that.

I've been thinking about the the Hybrids but the SMK shoot SOOO good. If I change bullets it will be for the DTAC's or the Matrix 117.

t
That would be cool. Maybe we can do it on a weekend to save you some vacation time? I usually don't know what my schedule is until that week. I might be working up in Big Sandy in July. I'll keep ya posted. August might work too.

~ John Quincy Adams