Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Member

What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

I'm new to using Lapua brass basically because the cartridges I have shot and reloaded for did not have Lapua brass available.

So far I'm very impressed with it. I've got 6.5-284 to be necked down to 6mm and 223 Rem. A random sample of each showed less than .001 in length difference. Case mouths visually appear (is that redundant?) to be perfectly round. Pockets seem to be very square and uniform. No dents or apparent irregularities in 400 pieces of brass.

I have deburred the flash holes, not sure if necessary. I have also squared and uniformed the pockets, not sure if necessary.

I plan to load the 223 brass without sizing because it looks ready for loading and because I do not yet have a sizer for it.

What do you do and don't do before you start seating bullets?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: What do you do to prep your Lapua brass?

Too bad Lapua doesn't make brass for all our chamberings. If they did it would be all I would buy.

I always size the necks to be certain they are round and will have the neck tension I want to use.

I have found the flash holes don't need to be touched. Do uniform primer pockets.

If I know I am going to use Lapua brass I specify a no turn neck reamer.

Have a 6mm-284 that uses 6.5-284 lapua brass. I used the custom reamer and an old 264 barrel to make a intermediary sizing die which helps neck the brass down with fewer failures than going right to the 6mm-284 FL die. An alternative would be to use a standard seater die for the in between step. just thought I'd add this though you may already know about it.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
What do you do and don't do before you start seating bullets?
Mark,

I will run new brass thru an expander die before seating. This with establishing more consistent neck tension for that first round.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

the only thing i do is lightly chamfer the case neck . nothing else.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Glad to see your getting ready for that 6-284 I'm still in love with mine.

I use Lapua brass as well. I use an S-type bushing die & neck down in 2 or 3 steps which seems to create a little more consistency at the final size compared to just crunching them down in one step.

I did try to deburr the flash hole but never found any burrs to remove! So, i'll quit doing that with my next batch.

I do uniform primer pockets, it seems to me (as I recall from memory) that they did take a little clean up.

I do use a VLD chamfer tool on the inside of the neck.

OAL was still incredibly consistent, I don't recall trimming the cases. I also measured case neck thickness to determine if turning was going to be necessary. It was not IIRC, necessary.

I considered weight sorting but, with the level of consistency I found everywhere else I figure it too, to would be a waste of time.

t

Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Platinum Member

With my Lapua .308 Win brass, I remove from package, insert primer, load powder charge, insert bullet, press bullet, then shoot it.

I have found that all the Lapua .308 brass I've ordered was so concentric and perfect that after thorough inspection of about 50-75 of the first 100 I just went ahead and decided to load them up.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Too bad Lapua doesn't make brass for all our chamberings. If they did it would be all I would buy.

I always size the necks to be certain they are round and will have the neck tension I want to use.

I have found the flash holes don't need to be touched. Do uniform primer pockets.

If I know I am going to use Lapua brass I specify a no turn neck reamer.

Have a 6mm-284 that uses 6.5-284 lapua brass. I used the custom reamer and an old 264 barrel to make a intermediary sizing die which helps neck the brass down with fewer failures than going right to the 6mm-284 FL die. An alternative would be to use a standard seater die for the in between step. just thought I'd add this though you may already know about it.
I also wish they made it in all the chamberings I shoot. Great stuff!

I used a Lyman flash hole beburrer and did remove some material with it. Not sure if it was burrs or just material. No biggie. Using the primer pocket uniformer didn't seem to make much of a difference.

I sent my 6-284 reamer drawing to Hornady to have a custom FL bushing die made (like a type S) I will get and intermediate bushing to 2 step it down. And I should have about 2-4 thou clearance in the neck chamber without turning.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams