Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What did I do wrong? This sucks!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Gold Member

What did I do wrong? This sucks!!!

Ok, so I was sizing a few cases after taking them out of the tumbler a couple days ago. The cases were well lubed going through a new Forster BR sizing die with the die backed out 3/4 of a turn as to size only the neck. Some cases went through the sizer smooth as silk and required very little pressure on the lever/arm/ whatever it's technically called. Some required considerably more work by me. Then this crap happens!!! What the hell? How does this happen?

Even better question, how does one go about fixing this problem? Oh, should have mentioned, I didn't leave the case in there just to show off my new dies. It's in there so damn tight I don't think it will ever come out!!!!

Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: What did I do wrong? This sucks!!!

Well to remove it here is one way.

RCBS Stuck Case Remover - MidwayUSA

I would start with your die a little further out and see how much of the neck your actually sizing. You don't have a small base die do you? What kind of brass, what kind of chamber and what kind of load pressure are you running? How many sizings to the cases have on them? Is it the same lot of brass? What kind of lube are you using? Lube the inside of the neck? Do any of the other sized cases have scratches or a ring around the base where the die stops? Lots of things can go wrong and make it happen. The good news is it's a die and not a barrel!
Old 03-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazylabs View Post
Well to remove it here is one way.

RCBS Stuck Case Remover - MidwayUSA

I would start with your die a little further out and see how much of the neck your actually sizing. You don't have a small base die do you? What kind of brass, what kind of chamber and what kind of load pressure are you running? How many sizings to the cases have on them? Is it the same lot of brass? What kind of lube are you using? Lube the inside of the neck? Do any of the other sized cases have scratches or a ring around the base where the die stops? Lots of things can go wrong and make it happen. The good news is it's a die and not a barrel!
Well, to be honest I am not sure what you mean by a small base die. I have the Forster BR dies. The brass is Winchester, 7mmRemMag. By load pressure, do you mean powder? If so, I am using max of 70gr. of H-1000. The cases are once fired--by me in my rifle. Don't know if it's the same lot of brass. Bought 2 packs (50 each), threw the bags away. Mixed the brass. They were both purchased at the same time, and both bags were virgin brass, now once-fired by me. I am using the Lyman case lube and pad. No lube to inside the necks. I see some fine scratches on the bodies of most of the brass. Nothing major. I will try to get a picture and post it up.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold Member

Ok, so I tried to take a few pics in just the right light so you could see the very small scratch marks on the cases. I just pulled a few from the ones that I had already sized. Not all were this "bad". Most were undetectable just by looking. I had to get these in the right light so they would show up in the pictures.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:58 PM

How often do you clean your dies?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM

My first question would be what are you using for lube? Inmy experience the spray lubes are only good for short straight wall cases. Nothing bigger than 44 mag. Get some Imperial sizing wax or Unique case lube. The force need to resize will go way down, ypur brass will last longer and you will never stick a case using this stuff properly.

The first time I tried to resize a bottleneck case with Hornady One Shot was the firat and only time I stuck a case. I went right back to the Unique case lube after that. I ended up pulling the decapping pin and knocking the case out with a brass punch and a hammer.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Unscrew your decapper / expander from the top of the die. Drill and tap the primer hole in the stuck case. Depending on the type of press you are using you may have to be creative on how to use the screw from the bottom of the case to secured in your press.... then raise the ram and pull the stuck case. I have had to do this once using my Forster press and it is pretty easy to do since it does not use a shell holder like an RCBS press does. There are some commercial "stuck case" pullers out there but I don't have one as I have only had a case stick once.......

As for why???? The most likely reason is not enough or proper lube. Even a case that requires a lot of sizing should not stick if it is lubricated properly.

What are you using for lube? I switched to Imperial Sizing Die Wax several years ago and have not looked back. It is a little messy since you put it on with your fingers but it works really well. The one and only case I have stuck was when using "One Shot" spray lube, and I have had several that "almost" stuck when using it. No problems since switching to sizing die wax.