Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading


Reply

what is the best bullet for hunting elk

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sheridan, Wyoming
Posts: 2
what is the best bullet for hunting elk

I was just looking for advise on bullets for a 300 win mag for elk hunting. I want good penetration at close and long range as well as good expansion. I was thinking about going with berger bullets but I seen a post on here showing how they did not perform the was they should have.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 07-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 347
Re: what is the best bullet for hunting elk

First and foremost find a bullet that shoots well in your gun. If you do a few simple searches on here you will find posts about every bullet made supposedly not performing. I've had great luck with both Accubonds and Bergers. Shoot only Bergers now. Pick an appropriate weight bullet and put it in the right spot.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,904
Re: what is the best bullet for hunting elk

Hera ya go read this and see for yourself. 19 documented big game one shot kills with a 300 win and the same Bullets, all the same season. Including elk from 200 yards to antelope at 1285 yards.

Jeff

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-13-2013, 06:29 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 809
Re: what is the best bullet for hunting elk

180 grain sierra prohunter or a nos ballistic tip. All the bullet you need for alot less money.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,732
Re: what is the best bullet for hunting elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Hera ya go read this and see for yourself. 19 documented big game one shot kills with a 300 win and the same Bullets, all the same season. Including elk from 200 yards to antelope at 1285 yards.

Jeff

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid
+1. Also for the OP's consideration, 210gr Berger VLD and 200 NAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
180 grain sierra prohunter or a nos ballistic tip. All the bullet you need for alot less money.
With all due respect, it's not necessarily true. I'm a big NBT fan on deer size game and smaller at 500 yards and closer but not sure nor have any experience on elk size game. I prefer the 200gr NAB over the 180 gr NBT.

Here's just a quick comparison on price ...

180gr NBT = $21.49/50
Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 180 Grain

200gr NAB = $32.48/50
Nosler AccuBond Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 200 Grain Bonded Spitzer

210gr Berger VLD = $47.99/100
Berger Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 210 Grain VLD Hollow

215gr Berger Hybrid = $52.99/100
Berger Hybrid Target Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 215 Grain Hollow

230gr Berger Hybrid = $52.99/100
Berger Hybrid Target Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 215 Grain Hollow

There was a thread quite some time ago, that Kirby Allen (IIRC, but please don't quote me on this ... and I apologize if that was not the case) where he recommended the Nosler Accubonds for <500 yards and the Berger VLDs for >500 yards - ?.

As already noted, shot placement is instrumental. Good luck and happy safe shooting.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 809
Re: what is the best bullet for hunting elk

claim what you want. everyone has an opinion. Mine is that if you shoot an elk behind the shoulder with a 180 ballistic tip out of a fricking 300 mag your going to eat elk tommarow. Shoot one in the but running away if your that kind of hunter then maybe its not enough bullet. But id have to pass on that shot or any questionalble shot. Id like to know how many elk have been killed with 270s using 130 grain ballistic tips and seirras and other cup and core bullets. Id bet over the years its been 10s of thousands. It wasnt till but a few years ago that the flood of premium bullets hit the market. Seems like to me anyway lots of hunters ate elk meat before that and were not talking a 270, were talking a 300 MAG!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,732
Re: what is the best bullet for hunting elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
claim what you want. everyone has an opinion. Mine is that if you shoot an elk behind the shoulder with a 180 ballistic tip out of a fricking 300 mag your going to eat elk tommarow. Shoot one in the but running away if your that kind of hunter then maybe its not enough bullet. But id have to pass on that shot or any questionalble shot. Id like to know how many elk have been killed with 270s using 130 grain ballistic tips and seirras and other cup and core bullets. Id bet over the years its been 10s of thousands. It wasnt till but a few years ago that the flood of premium bullets hit the market. Seems like to me anyway lots of hunters ate elk meat before that and were not talking a 270, were talking a 300 MAG!!!!
Did I say anything wrong with the 180gr NBT?


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
With all due respect, it's not necessarily true. I'm a big NBT fan on deer size game and smaller at 500 yards and closer but not sure nor have any experience on elk size game. I prefer the 200gr NAB over the 180 gr NBT.

As already noted, shot placement is instrumental. Good luck and happy safe shooting.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC