Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is acceptable velocity variation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: What is acceptable velocity variation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMcCullough View Post
I could be wrong, but won't ST DEV always be less than ES?
I'm glad I wasn't the only one scratching my head here. I think we may be way too into the numbers if we noticed that.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM

If most chronographs give you Standard Deviation, (and unfortunately not Velocity Variation), why don't most Ballistic Calculators/Aps ask for Standard Deviation? Thank you.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig1972 View Post
If most chronographs give you Standard Deviation, (and unfortunately not Velocity Variation), why don't most Ballistic Calculators/Aps ask for Standard Deviation? Thank you.
Honestly if your crony gives you SD it will also give you ES. Kind of depends on who you talk to as to which if more meaningful. I tend to pay more attention to SD. ES does give you the worst case example though. Along with ES and SD your chrony will likely give you the average speed which is probably what most are going to use in their software.
Romans 12:12
www.projectsavage.com
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinodods View Post
Honestly if your crony gives you SD it will also give you ES. Kind of depends on who you talk to as to which if more meaningful. I tend to pay more attention to SD. ES does give you the worst case example though. Along with ES and SD your chrony will likely give you the average speed which is probably what most are going to use in their software.
mine gives both but I normally use the avrege speed for calculating. Tho I'm normally not happy with a load till es is below 20 consistently. Many times if my vertical spread is more than .5 moa than my chrono also shows a high es,sd. Tho the load i mentioned earlier often has .25moa vertical spread at all ranges. It does not buck the wind very well with the little bullets but I've been getting pretty use to how it drifts. Many times I've noticed my speeds may not track with data but it must lie consistent cause it predicts vertical spread well and normally when it's wrong its 1/2 moa or less. Could be that +/- 5% accuracy they talked about in the Manuel.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:25 PM

"Honestly if your crony gives you SD it will also give you ES" thank you guys. I will double check my Chrony and see if it does in fact give "ES" (which i didn't realize was Velocity Variation. Getting my Velocit Variation down from 45 to 20 might be tough since i'm using Federal Premium ammunition (165 grain GameKing for my .308) I heard if i am bench shooting it without a Lead Sled it may vary so much because of the variation of how i'm holding the rifle. but don't oi want to get my velocity average and variation the same way i'd be shooting my rifle in the wild and not with a Lead Sled?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 AM
Silver Member

Yes but I dont believe reacting to recoil can change velocity that much. Guess ill have to test this theory. I've always been told recoil starts when the bullet exits the barrel not at ignition. Tho ignition and bullet exiting are only thousandths of a sec apart so.... Also have to remember that chrono's are not perfect and many are only accurate to +/- 5% at 3000fps that can be +15/-15 fps each shot,also if your ammo is sitting in the sun waiting to get shot its warming up as well which will change speeds or if your action is warm or hot and your taking your time making sure your doing your part as they say it may also be warming it up. Combine that with normal +/- of the chrono and that could easily be your 50fps spread. or your factory ammo is just not that constant.
I'm no expert! Jmo
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 AM

Thank you very much. I am using a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master, it's pretty good. So I will concentrate on shooting ten shots through it, get the average and use that in my ballistics calculations. I won't worry so much about the Velocity Variation for now until i start reloading. I'll also shoot from a Lead Sled and hope the Federal ammo is somewhat constant. I really am looking forward to the day I can start reloading.