Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

What is acceptable velocity variation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 AM

What is acceptable velocity variation

I am working on making a more consistent load for my rifle, but I can not find the information on what would be considered acceptable, and what would be considered a reasonable expectation. What is possible? I have gotten it to 35 fps variation on some loads, but I don't know if it's possible to get under 10 fps or not.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: What is acceptable velocity variation

The longer the range you shoot the more important consistent velocities become. The larger the diameter the bullet the easier it is to achieve consistent velocities. An example would be that with a .375 its pretty hard not to shoot duplicate velocities all day long. with a small cartridge everything becomes more critical. For 6.5 - .30, most should be duplicate. I do not give any consideration to the standard deviation but weight it entirely on the maximum spread from slowest to fastest. About 11 - 14 f.p.s. spread without any odd balls is good enough. I do how ever hit the std deviation button once in a while and it generally comes up 5 to 7 on short string sampling
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

I agree with ken. Your maximum velocity spread is what determines how far that weapon is dependable. At 1000 yards your bullet is traveling through the kill zone of an animal for a very short distance as it drops out of the sky. Depending on your cartridge maybe 15 yards through the kill zone. Most people think of the bullet going straight at an animal. It is dropping like a rock at that distance. If your velocity spread varies 30 fps and causes a vertical group of say 8" then you have very little room for error.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeicide View Post
I am working on making a more consistent load for my rifle, but I can not find the information on what would be considered acceptable, and what would be considered a reasonable expectation. What is possible? I have gotten it to 35 fps variation on some loads, but I don't know if it's possible to get under 10 fps or not.
Ideally, you should look for single digit numbers. This is not always possible with the smaller
caliber bullets.

I try to get all of my 7mm and down to fall within 10 to 15 ft/sec with large bores (30 cal +)
I try for 9 or less.

At close range this is not as critical (Under 300 yards) but for long range it is very important.

This is Just what I try for.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I agree with ken. Your maximum velocity spread is what determines how far that weapon is dependable. At 1000 yards your bullet is traveling through the kill zone of an animal for a very short distance as it drops out of the sky. Depending on your cartridge maybe 15 yards through the kill zone. Most people think of the bullet going straight at an animal. It is dropping like a rock at that distance. If your velocity spread varies 30 fps and causes a vertical group of say 8" then you have very little room for error.
I like your take on this. That is a good point and one newer shooters don't think about. I killed a coyote one time at 1159 yds with a 308 and he had a hole in the center of his back line. Shows just how vertically a bullet falls at elr. One other point to make is if you don't have a really good chronie don't put to much faith into what your getting for numbers. Take your best load and shoot it on paper at 800-1000 and measure the vertical yourself. I like Broz's method. Shoot a three shot group and let you barrel cool then shoot another three for a six shot group. Tape measures don't lie to you
Old 01-17-2012, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

If a guy has a high variation in velocity, what can be changed to get it under 10 fps?

Jason
Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 AM
Silver Member

cornchuck, Yes it is part of a normal load development. It is also a product of proper barrel fouling and cleaning intervals.