Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Weird Velocity Readings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Weird Velocity Readings

If anyone has QuickLoad and wouldn't mind running some numbers for me, I'd be interested to know what the max powder charge would be for this load I'm working on.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Gold Member

first ill say that 4350 isnt to slow for 140s in a 280. Its about ideal. Secondly id have to ask what kind of chrony you own. Most cheap ones just are relibable or consistant. Third i agree that the farther away from muzzle blast that you can put your chon. the better. I dont usually recomend loading over book but if it were my gun id try bumping it up one grain and look close for pressure signs and see what that does. one last thing id try is a couple differnt primers. Some of your spreds if your chon. is reading right are to large. A diffent primer might help that. Even if your getting 1/2 inch 100 yard groups if your velocity spreads are large the load will most likely go to heck out at 300 yards.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:40 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
first ill say that 4350 isnt to slow for 140s in a 280. Its about ideal. Secondly id have to ask what kind of chrony you own. Most cheap ones just are relibable or consistant.
It's a Shooting Chrony. It's not top of the line but I don't think it's junk either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
Third i agree that the farther away from muzzle blast that you can put your chon. the better. I dont usually recomend loading over book but if it were my gun id try bumping it up one grain and look close for pressure signs and see what that does. one last thing id try is a couple differnt primers. Some of your spreds if your chon. is reading right are to large. A diffent primer might help that. Even if your getting 1/2 inch 100 yard groups if your velocity spreads are large the load will most likely go to heck out at 300 yards.
Luckily I've got a couple of boxes of Fed. 210M's...I'll give those a shot after I push the chrony out a little ways. I'll change one variable at a time til I figure this out.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

I had two shooting chronys. Both were about junk. Some have good luck with them but i didnt. Mine were very sensitive to light and both read high and neither were consistant. First thing id do is find a buddy with a better chrono and try your loads just to verify your chrony is right before i wasted any more money on components. especially considering the accuracy youre getting.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Too close chrono can definately cause trouble...forgot about that idea.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Bronze Member

Next trip out I'll set up closer to 15' and see if that makes a difference. I might even try to come up with a piece of opaque plastic to cover the gap between the skyscreens to minimize the effects of intermittent sunshine.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus McCrae View Post
Next trip out I'll set up closer to 15' and see if that makes a difference. I might even try to come up with a piece of opaque plastic to cover the gap between the skyscreens to minimize the effects of intermittent sunshine.
give her a bit of overhang on the sun- in end too. Make it look like a cloudy day to the chrono....