Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Weight sorting Magnum brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weight sorting Magnum brass

"All" of my hunting rifles will shoot under 1/2 MOA and most under 1/4 MOA with the best 4 shooting .031,.054,.077 and .092 groups. (all of these rifles are hunting rifles and weigh 8 to 12lbs).... Why build a custom rifle and feed it junk like the factory ammo."

JC, you touch on a point that makes me curieous; Are you getting those small groups from factory rifles/barrels/stocks/triggers or customs? And are those typical or wallet groups
Old 02-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

I have been talking to a world record benchrest shooter(Tom Sarver) on the phone lately,and we got into this discussion about sorting brass.He said after all the years he has been shooting and competing,he has done all the methods of case sorting,and has come to a conclusion that it is a waste of time.He said he gets just as good of results from grabbing a handfull of brass and reloading,than spending hours messing with them trying to find identical matches.I think I am going to take his advise and spend less time fiddling with brass,and more time shooting,to improve my skills..That is just my opinion.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=KQguy; I think I am going to take his advise and spend lss time fiddling with brass,and more time shooting,to improve my skills.

this will be more productive when trying to make gains in accuracy.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

I may just have to stop fiddlin with weighing too if it doesn't do anything. I'm always open to shortcuts!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:19 PM
Silver Member

[quote=davewilson;259299][quote=KQguy; I think I am going to take his advise and spend lss time fiddling with brass,and more time shooting,to improve my skills.

this will be more productive when trying to make gains in accuracy.[/QUOTE]
I have also spent lot's of time sorting brass,using the H2o method,as well as weighing this and that.I have not personally found any benefits when out on the range.I do all the regular necessities of reloading(neck turning,debur flashholes,keeping everything as concentric as possible,etc.),but I have drawn the line when it comes to tossing out 2/3 rds of my brass because it doesn't make a perfect match with another group of brass.Everyone will have their own opinion and experiences,but these are mine.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Derek M.

Why worry about what others do?
Load up some that weigh the same and some at the extreme edges (high and low) and test for your self.
I think you could see a change with different brands and maybe even different lots.
I like to keep all things equal if possible, I dont mix brands and try to keep same lot numbers.

After turning necks you see that the brass is not equal around the necks, thats why we turn them. so no two brass is exact even if they weigh the same.

CAM
Old 02-03-2009, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
Derek M.

Why worry about what others do?
Load up some that weigh the same and some at the extreme edges (high and low) and test for your self.
I think you could see a change with different brands and maybe even different lots.
I like to keep all things equal if possible, I dont mix brands and try to keep same lot numbers.

After turning necks you see that the brass is not equal around the necks, thats why we turn them. so no two brass is exact even if they weigh the same.

CAM
Already ahead of you. I loaded up 30 test rounds for 3 different rifles but I would never mix brass brands for a given load. There is as much as 7 grains difference in the 270 loads and about 5-6 grains in the 7mag and 30.06. I will be testing proven loads in each rifle that have been repeated with wt sorted brass. I'll have to wait until I get back from Canada to do it so I can shoot to 500 yards. We'll see what happens.