Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Weight sorting Magnum brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weight sorting Magnum brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

This is another subject that has a lot of different opinions.

I learned what little gunsmithing skills I have from a master builder
and bench rest shooter that was so particular that even the color
of the brass made a difference.( he said it was because of the neck
tension that different brass imparted on the bullet even though you
did all the right things, trim,ream,turn,brush etc).

And he said that nothing was a wast of time if you wanted the best out
of a rifle.

I weight sort all of my brass when I get it and store it in batches that are
clearly marked for future use. In my loading data I record the brand,
number of firings, trim length,neck thickness of the brass so that later
I can match the new brass to the old brass. This allowes me to duplicate
my favorite load and not have to start all over with testing .

So that is why I weight sort all of my brass along with all of the other
prep work.

And as boss hoss said it may not be nessary but "All" of my hunting rifles
will shoot under 1/2 MOA and most under 1/4 MOA with the best 4 shooting
.031,.054,.077 and .092 groups. (all of these rifles are hunting rifles and
weigh 8 to 12lbs).

In the pursuit of perfection I leave no stone unturned.

Why build a custom rifle and feed it junk like the factory ammo.

Remember this is just My opinion and others are entitled to theirs so
you must make the final choice.

J E CUSTOM
AMEN to making the final choices yourself! My hunting rifles are loaded the same as my 1K competition ones as well (also make all of my dies from the reamers used to cut the chambers). Well there is one exception that on the rifles that are short range 400 yds and less I donít do the bearing surface comparison of the projectile nor do I use the point up die or a meplat trimmer but I still check each round for concentricity! lol
Old 02-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
How many matches, championships, or hall of fames are you a member of?
None. That's why I have a lot of questions. I hope you don't take offense to those who are trying to learn.

But from what you posted, it can be inferred that one bench rest HOF person tested one caliber using one brand of brass of excellent quality and concluded that wt sorting was an absolute waste of time for his test and for his purposes, and thus, this means that all calibers and all brands of brass need no wt sorting in any caliber. That is a truly remarkable conclusion.

I respect the man's abilities no doubt. The comment on sorting brass by capacity is truly, imo, the most accurate weigh to sort if one chooses to do so. Curiously, Mr. Gonzales wrote this regarding vertical stringing:

Quote:
LOAD TUNING

• Find the Sweet Spot--A load that is too light or too heavy can cause vertical problems. When you've tuned the load right, you should see a reduction in vertical. Even 0.1 grain may make a difference, as will small changes in seating depth.
CURES for VERTICAL STRINGING

Yet as much as 3-4 grains of brass doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It may all be perfectly true. I don't know. That's why I have questions.

Last edited by Derek M.; 02-02-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
None. That's why I have a lot of questions. I hope you don't take offense to those who are trying to learn.

But from what you posted, it can be inferred that one bench rest HOF person tested one caliber using one brand of brass of excellent quality and concluded that wt sorting was an absolute waste of time for his test and for his purposes, and thus, this means that all calibers and all brands of brass need no wt sorting in any caliber. That is a truly remarkable conclusion.

I respect the man's abilities no doubt. The comment on sorting brass by capacity is truly, imo, the most accurate weigh to sort if one chooses to do so. Curiously, Mr. Gonzales wrote this regarding vertical stringing:

CURES for VERTICAL STRINGING

Yet as much as 3-4 grains of brass doesn't amount to a hill of beans. It may all be perfectly true. I don't know. That's why I have questions.

That is correct about the vertical stringing and is why the point blank guys load at the range between relays so that conditions such as temp, humidity etc can be taken into consideration! I am a 1K guy and ALWAYS load the night before the match. Neck tension is very very important and we want to have a fresh neck set! I like to win when I travel to shoot a match which Speedy has a saying that is very appropriate “Winning isn’t everything but losing sucks”

To say that the pursuit of accuracy is relentless and all consuming is an understatement! That being said however, does not mean that it makes sense to throw resources at something that will have questionable value.

You mentioned that only one type of brass and caliber was utilized – this makes no difference because when there is a wt difference in the cases it may OR may not mean that there is a volumetric difference. The question you must ask yourself==is the wt difference I am seeing attributable to a volumetric change or is this just in the web area??? There is no way to know unless you check the absolute volume of each case after it has been fired. The next question is why after it has been fired??? Think about that one and get back with me. If you are checking unfired brass then you are really peeing into the wind.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

I have no problem eliminating wt sorting if it makes zero difference out to 1000 yards.

Now what makes me even more curious is different brands of brass. If I have Nosler, Remington, Winchester, and Hornady brass in 7mm Rem mag and I capacity sorted once fired brass with water and it turned out that I had several from each brand in one batch, would that be more uniform than taking all cases of one make and have a batch that weighed within roughly 7 grains.

Not to worry, I'm not going to waste my time sorting by capacity. But it does make me wonder why Nosler chose to sort by weight as a selling point on their custom brass.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

They felt they needed SOMETHING as a selling point, and weighing their product is EASY.

It doesn't have to mean anything other than you buying it..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I am a 1K guy and ALWAYS load the night before the match. Neck tension is very very important and we want to have a fresh neck set!
I can understand Speedy not wt sorting for 100, 200 yard shooting, maybe even 600. I would have thought a 1000 yard shooter would weight sort. Do you turn your necks like Gonzales?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
I can understand Speedy not wt sorting for 100, 200 yard shooting, maybe even 600. I would have thought a 1000 yard shooter would weight sort. Do you turn your necks like Gonzales?

Yes he is the one who showed me how to do it. Did most of them in his shop -- also fire formed and turned brass for customers as well. Speedy had a dedicated rail gun used to fireform brass--could do about 200 to 300 an hour depending on outside temps. Bullseye burns pretty hot!