Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Weight sorting Magnum brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Weight sorting Magnum brass

How many weight sort magnum brass and how much variation do you accept?

Does it show on paper?

Old 02-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weight sorting Magnum brass

Many of us sort cases by weight but not for how much differencee it might provably make on paper. We do that, and a lot of other stuff, for the confidence that results from having done all we can to make precision ammo. That simply can't be done with random cases.

Set your own standards, we do.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

I usually buy brass by the 500 ct to get 50-75, maybe a few more to get one lot that is w/i a half grain. I save the rest for fouling shots, practice shots, or use them for my brother's ammo. He's never known the difference.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

My mentor and builder is a BR HOF member, world record holder and did very extensive testing on this and concluded that it is a waste of time. After going thru the data with him, I concur with his conclusion.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
My mentor and builder is a BR HOF member, world record holder and did very extensive testing on this and concluded that it is a waste of time. After going thru the data with him, I concur with his conclusion.
What brand(s) of brass were used to collect data? What are the details of the extensive testing? What ranges were tested? How many different rifles and calibers were used for the tests? Were they factory and custom chambers? Did the tests conclude that there was a set weight spread in brass that was determined to be a waste of time if sorted? How many brass cases were tested?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

This is another subject that has a lot of different opinions.

I learned what little gunsmithing skills I have from a master builder
and bench rest shooter that was so particular that even the color
of the brass made a difference.( he said it was because of the neck
tension that different brass imparted on the bullet even though you
did all the right things, trim,ream,turn,brush etc).

And he said that nothing was a wast of time if you wanted the best out
of a rifle.

I weight sort all of my brass when I get it and store it in batches that are
clearly marked for future use. In my loading data I record the brand,
number of firings, trim length,neck thickness of the brass so that later
I can match the new brass to the old brass. This allowes me to duplicate
my favorite load and not have to start all over with testing .

So that is why I weight sort all of my brass along with all of the other
prep work.

And as boss hoss said it may not be nessary but "All" of my hunting rifles
will shoot under 1/2 MOA and most under 1/4 MOA with the best 4 shooting
.031,.054,.077 and .092 groups. (all of these rifles are hunting rifles and
weigh 8 to 12lbs).

In the pursuit of perfection I leave no stone unturned.

Why build a custom rifle and feed it junk like the factory ammo.

Remember this is just My opinion and others are entitled to theirs so
you must make the final choice.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
What brand(s) of brass were used to collect data? What are the details of the extensive testing? What ranges were tested? How many different rifles and calibers were used for the tests? Were they factory and custom chambers? Did the tests conclude that there was a set weight spread in brass that was determined to be a waste of time if sorted? How many brass cases were tested?
Speedy Gonzales did the testing on 6ppc brass that he fire-formed fro 220 Russian Lapua. That should answer most of your questions. The total number of pieces of brass tested I do not know but will find out if you need to know. The reamer he uses are to his spec for his competition rifles. One does not usually set world records get into both major shooting disciplines HOF's by not knowing what one is doing (he builds his own rifles).

How many matches, championships, or hall of fames are you a member of?
Skins on the wall go a long way to validate ---- talk is just that talk.

The attached link is just for the picture and introduction not the barrel cleaning routine Barrel Break-in

The short answer is and this a direct quote "sorting brass is a complete waste of time but some people do it to make themselves feel better and if that works for their program then fine" ----- "my testing showed that there was no advantage because just because there is a weight difference that may or may not have a bearing on volume differences" ----- “you may be doing more harm than good by discarding a case that may be heavier because the interior volume may be the same”

In his testing Speedy also checked internal volumes on the test cases to determine that the weight differences were indeed not having a cause and effect relationship on the volumetric capacity. Volumetric differences of the internal part of the case are not systemic to the weight difference of the case alone.

Speedy also for example has the most intricate procedure for turning brass necks that I have ever seen or heard of. Just for example, he grinds the mandrel (specific type of tool steel) to the exact diameter that is required based on the measurements taken from the actual neck size of the brass being turned. Then uses a lube he has concocted himself and then has the lathe set at the exact speed that will give the best most consistent cut while not building up heat that will cause variances in the process. This is just one of the tricks he has shown me but it suffices to say that if something will make a difference in the accuracy of the bullet going down the tube he has either tried it or does it. I have never been able to think of anything that he had not already done years ago--not to be say that there is not anything that is not already known but everything that I have read on these types of forums was tried a long time ago.

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 02-02-2009 at 01:55 PM.