Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Weight sorting brass

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

Weight sorting brass

Did a few searches on this and found alot of info on smaller caliber sorting but none for ultra mag size cases. Back to my question is a lot of 3 gr + or - a good start or should they be closer than that. I'll be useing it primarily for hunting and shooting targets. The farthest would be 800-1000 yds.

In yalls experience with the ultra mag size cases is sorting a waste of time or not.

Thanks,
Nathan
Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Weight sorting brass

Sorting cases to a 1% spread in weight's good enough for targets past 600 yards. For shorter ranges, a 2% spread's fine. There's a greater spread in muzzle velocity caused by the spread in pressure peak and curve for exact powder charge weights and what a given lot of primers will have.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

I was bored, so I decided to weigh my .300 WSM Winchester Supreme Nickle Brass. This brass was necked sized, trimed and deburred. Found five that weighed about 4 gains lighter than the norm. I set these off to the side. Took the rest and randomly picked out six, placed a spent primer in and weighed the brass. Then I filled the cases up with distilled water and weighed again. Subtracted the difference to see what the volume of the case are. They averaged 81.4 gains of H2O. Decided to to the same to the five lite cases. End result was about the same, not enough to be concerned about.

Volume of case is more important than weight of case.

Browming X-Bolt .30-06
Nikon Monarch SF 4-16

Weatherby Mark V 30-378
Nightforce 5.5-22 x 56
Old 07-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomt View Post
Volume of case is more important than weight of case.
Except that the more out of round a case is, the less water it will hold. Which would mean to some there's less volume in it. But that case brass still takes up the same amount of space in the chamber.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Found this older thread from a few years ago and has kinda got me thinking I wasted my time yesterday. Although I really enjoy doing the extra things for accuracy, I just don't like doing it when it's 100 degrees in my garage and then reading it might of been for nothing...

Weight sorting Magnum brass
Old 07-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Bronze Member

Magnum brass sorting? Of course... On some of my big mags the brass has been as much as 8 gr +/-

That much +/- can't be good.....It's in the head or the volume, don't really care which, just separate and segregate as I load.

FUBAR,
Wounded Warrior Alumni
Old 07-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Platinum Member

Because you can go down to Walmart and buy a box of Rem Corelokt and kill a B&C trophy, some might say handloading is a waste of time. Only you can decide whether or not something is worthwhile.

Weight sorting is easy. So, go for it if for no other reason than to have a record of the properties of the brass you're shooting.

However, case volume is most likely a better predictor of consistent performance albeit more difficult and time consuming to measure.

As for magnums vs small cartridges, it should be easier and more beneficial to measure large magnum cases.

If you want to know if it's worthwhile, then try something scientific like...

Record the water weight capacity for each (fired) case and sort them. Calculate the mean and standard deviation. Then, eliminate anything that's more than 2 standard deviations above or below the mean. Keep them sorted, load, and shoot them with a known good load and record your MV and group sizes.

Graph your MV along side the case capacity and see if they track in the same direction. Look at your groups and see if they're better than you normally get with this load. (probably won't make much diference for short range and a good long range load will be more tolerant of subtle MV variation than a poor long range load)

You can get a lot deeper with proving/disproving this statistically. But, chances are that if you can't discern sufficient benefit like this, then it's probably not worth "your" while.

-- richard