Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

weighing and sorting brass & weighing, measuring and sorting bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: weighing and sorting brass & weighing, measuring and sorting bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfseaman View Post
Thank you for that opportunity or more importantly this opportunity.

Not every reloading situation demands the same attention to detail.

SidecarFlip seems to be referring to reloading for a point and spray type devices. Waste of time indeed sorting bullets or brass for such a device but then it is my belief that for hunting or accuracy shooting the point and spray device is a waste of time. To each his own I guess. Y`all'd be better off getting some milsurp and getting off the reloading forums cuz ya don't know cu about cumber much less anythin about reloadin.
Not at all. In fact almost all are for hunting. I just happen to do all the reloading and load workup for our entire group of 7 hunters so I load a lot of rounds in many different calibers with a wide assortment of pills for bolt guns and pistols...we hunt with pistols here..... No spray guns. Don't even own an AR platform and don't want one (if thats what you are referring to).......

Closest thing I have to a 'spray gun' would be a Ruger accurized Mini 14 Target chambered 223 for 100 yard benchrest comp. The only gas op blowback action in the entire group of modern firearms. We have some Class 3 C&R weapons but those aren't considered hunting firearms, not iin the correct sense of the word at least.

I take my reloading very seriously, all the time. My friend's safety, accuracy and a clean kill is paramount as well as their trust in my judgement concerning their loads.

Factory ammunition has come a long way in terms of attained accuracy and variety in the las 15 years but handloading is still better because you can custom tailor your round. I just wanted to poke you a bit. I've never weighed anything, cases or pills. never seen a need to, but thats just me.

I'm not that anal (about weight differentials) and our group hunts everywhere, even out your way and there are a lot of mounts in their homes that attest to their kills.

Cucumbers give me indigestion anyways.

Keep on weighing and whatever.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

jfseaman, I'd like to know what you 'think' you know about my buzzwords?
But before giving it a shot, if you care to do so, take pause and be careful now.

OP, are you still around?
Old 09-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
OP, are you still around?
Yes, I'm still here. Just trying to keep up on this thread, even though I don't really think my question is getting answered. But its fun reading.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
Yes, I'm still here. Just trying to keep up on this thread, even though I don't really think my question is getting answered. But its fun reading.
Because no one can answer that question definitively. We have given you a lot of information to answer it yourself. If you are not a serious BR shooter, you will not likely notice the difference. You could spend a lot of powder, bullets and barrel life experimenting to see for yourself.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 09-03-2013, 06:07 PM
Platinum Member

Screw alll that mess! I'm not weighing and sorting jack crap, and my rifles are shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA. Unless it's possible to shoot tighter groups than 1/4 MOA, then in which case I MIGHT consider weighing and sorting.

And some of my brass is Federal, Hornady, Lapua, etc...

I don't, however, mix and match brands.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax1800 View Post
My question is: how much difference in accuracy is all my weighing, measuring and sorting going to make at 400 yards? Is it really worth all the time sorting?
dmax1800, discussions often wonder. Sorry your question wasn't directly answered.
As it can't be predicted, a purely logical answer is;
Culling 20 from 150 bullets is worth it if the difference in 400yd accuracy with your efforts so far makes it worth it.

In other words, you're going to have to answer this one.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

At 400 yards or less, you are basically wasting your time sorting Barnes, Nosler or Swift bullets. It's better to concentrate on precise powder charge weight and choosing a powder that is temperature insensitive. Quality brass like Norma, Lapua, or Nosler needs no sorting either.

Look for a powder that is almost full to slightly compressed when it shoots the most accurately. Low powder charges are inconswistent, and even if they use temperature insensitive powders, they will shoot differently if angled up, down or level.

To produce a more stable backpressure for consistent ignition, use a Lee FCD after seating your bullets. Equal case trim length leads to a consistent crimp, so trim all cases at the same time to the same length.

Brass that weighs within 3% range seems to shoot rather well, certainly good enough for 400 yard work.

Bullets should weigh within 0.5% range of each other, but with Nosler, Barnes or Swift bullets you will see just about every bullet pass that test. That is 1 whole grain at 200 grain bullet weight, which nearly all premium bullets will achieve.