Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Weighing cases acceptable variation?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Bronze Member

Weighing cases acceptable variation?

When weighing cases how much total variation do you allow when you sort into your lots? +/- .5 grains for a total of 1 grain, or +/- 1 for a total of 2 grains, etc?
Old 02-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

Well, maybe im an anal nutjob, but I weigh mine and group them to within 0.1gr groups. I generally buy Nosler matched brass and that takes alot of work out of grouping them since they are already closely matched.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

There is simply no basis for it.

If you really want to reduce ES from cartridge capacity variance, then measure precisely that. Check the H2O capacity of your fireformed cases.

I know that weighing brass is easier than actually measuring. Just as weighing bullets is easier than measuring. Either might help you sleep, but both are a waste of time just the same.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 PM
Platinum Member

Encore

When weighing for test they weigh the same.

When weighing for hunting I stay within 1 gr.

For long range hunting 1/2 gr.

I normaly buy 200 rds at a time and weight sort and
separate with this in mind.

Anything that falls outside of these (Normaly I find 3 or 4 that
are 2 or 3grs apart from all the rest) I use as dummys for die
setup and COAL with different bullets.

Just the way I do it
J E CUSTOM
Old 02-24-2008, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Really it does not matter because you are not accomplishing anything as it relates to the volume of the case.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

Maybe I am completely ignorant, and I dont claim to be an expert, just a guy who has screwed around trying to find what worked and didnt work for him. However, how is there NOT a correlation between case capacity of a fireformed case and its weight? Say you have a batch of 100 new brass. If you fire form them through your rifle, you clean, trim and deprime them and then sort by weight, it seems that any deviation in weight must correspond to an internal volume change being that the cases are formed to your chamber and that the brass doesnt deviate in its density. Cruder than measuring with water? Perhaps, but it seems that it would be better than nothing. I started my long range persuit with Winchester brass several years back. The ES results on the chronograph as I have struggled over the years have shrunk. A big step in that was when I started matching brass. First I started culling from the winchester. Then later I got rid of the Winchester brass all together and switched up to the Nosler matched brass. Good results all around.

Ive heard of using water, water and alcohol, using sand, fine powder, with primers in, out, puttied up, golf tees inserted in the flash holes, tape, ..... I know for internal ballistics programs they want water, but for a field shooter who is simply playing with a .300WinMag or something trying to reduce his ES why is weight sorting so wrong?

Im not trying to flame anyone, just trying to understand why weight sorting as a means for determining a variance in volume for long range hunter not a wildcat experimenting with loads is so wrong. Please educate me with something other than ... "its meaningless"
Old 02-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

just take 10 cases that weigh exactly the same and then measure how much powder they hold. with my RUM case i've seen as much as 2 gr of powder difference with cases that weigh the same. i almost hate to agree with ole Boss because we usually argue enough to be married, but on this one we're on the same page.