Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

weighing bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2006, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

Re: weighing bullets

The trouble with ustng a ball mic, as I see it, is measuring each jacket at the same place. I also doubt the accuracy when using a steel ball on a copper jacket. This is critical when looking for variations in "tenths".
Old 04-26-2006, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
The trouble with ustng a ball mic, as I see it, is measuring each jacket at the same place. I also doubt the accuracy when using a steel ball on a copper jacket. This is critical when looking for variations in "tenths".

[/ QUOTE ]Some years ago, a couple of us were using a steel-balled mic to measure some 30 caliber J4 jackets to make some 168-gr. hollow point bullets in Rorschach carbide dies. We also used a precision tubing mic with a round anvil. Both had torque limiting thimbles. Repeatability was well below .0001-inch with both measuring every 90 degrees about 3/8ths inch into each one, so I don't think the softer jackets let the round steel ball dent them enough to matter. If one doesn't use a torque-limiting micrometer, then chances are the steel ball could dimple the inside of the jacket. We gotta be careful doing such things.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:20 AM

I havent found a need to weigh my sierras, or noslers, hornadays are a differant story and I usually will weigh them. How about brass tolerances? I always weigh w primer in what kind of spread are folks giving their brass groups?
Old 04-26-2006, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Anything over 1% is overkill.

BH
Old 04-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Platinum Member

One percent of case weight spread is fine. With or without the primer. Primers' weight spread is usually about 2/10ths grain spread, so they don't matter much if they're in the case.
Old 04-26-2006, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Until one year ago that (blending bullets from different machines) is exactly what sierra was doing and they openly admitted it to the 1k shooters who called them. Rich M. (1000 yard shooter from Sierra) told us that they changed that process at the PA world open last year. They finally got smart and run all one machine into the same boxes instead down the line off 3-4 machines. Since that change their tolerances on base to ogive has tightened up considerably. He said they had too many complaints of people buying a box of 500 and culling down to 150 shootable bullets in one batch and that is exactly what we were doing.

I was getting .018 variance out of a box of 500 142 SMKs before that on base to ogive. Will send you my address.

[/ QUOTE ]Nobody at Sierra Bullets verifies what you said; not even Rich M. You might send your address (email or house) to Rich M. at Sierra then talk and get your stuff together. Something's amiss with what you said and the two of you can easily figure it out. You don't have to post the results.

That aside, Sierra Bullets has caught people from time to time who purchased seconds, hand picked through them, then take them to gunshows and sell them as "Bulk Firsts" but they were not. A box of them could easily have bullets from different pointing dies. Some seconds are polished and some are dull and still have sizing lanolin on them. And the buyer wouldn't know this or suspect anything until he made some precice measurements. This may well have been what happened and would easily explain why base-to-ogive spread was as great as you (and another or two) mentioned. This sneaky hoodwinkery is something Sierra Bullets has nothing to do with.

Where did you and others buy these 500-bullet boxes at and who from? You should report this to Sierra instead of me.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

That is a fact----glad you posted it. I have my popcorn ready because this will be interesting.