Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Way in or way out ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2006, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

Re: Way in or way out ?

Seriously for a moment. I would like to commend you, Jimm, and you, abinok, for your Christian signatures. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps if I can get into fellowship myself I can quit stirring this pot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Gold Member

Thanks Dan.
Ive always believed that in an impersonal place like the internet, its nice to be able to learn a lot about other folks... especially the ones you have never/ will never meet. That being said, I don't know of a better way to use that signature line than to share the words of a man on his deathbead a couple thousand years ago... words that happen to say a lot about who I am, and who I try to be.
It also comes in handy to identify myself to the other believers out there... much more so than tracing an arc in the sand with the tip of my sandal like the old days [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thats where the "fish" symbol many christians use comes from to those of you who may not know. When two people met on a road in ancient times, one believer could trace a curved line on the ground with his toe... and if the other did the same over his own, then they both knew... and it was discrete! an important trait in those first years.

From private correspondance, ive found there are many of my brothers here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2006, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Dan , Dan , Dan,

Whatever are we gonna do with you [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] ?
You are a good guy with good stuff to share . Bountyhunter also has a lot of good stuff to share [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. You don't have to like him Dan , and Bounty Hunter you , you , .... well you aren't the final answer either [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Both of you may question my responses to you both and thats ok , I'm the least of anyone on this site .......but, ......this is my post !

You guys need to back off and consider, What the hair are you accomplishing by all this confrontation? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Green one , you still haven't told me what green 788 is about [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bounty hunter ,do you think that way in loads can be screamers ?

Jim B.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

I'm a fan of the Remington 788. I have found them to be accurate as a rule, and at least they used to be inexpensive. 700's come cheaper these days... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

My second 788 was/is a .243 win, and it had a maple looking stock that looked like it would be more at home on a pellet rifle. These were Remington's "entry level" rifle that would generally outshoot most 700's. But the stocks were very plain.

My father-in-law is a hardwood flooring master craftsman, and he was staining some maple wood green one day and I asked him how he got that green stain. "About two parts varnish and one part enamel paint," I learned. So I sanded down my 788's stock and mixed up the concoction and stained it green. The wood grain really came through. It became my "green 788," my favorite rifle to this day.

That's an old picture I took after I bobbed the barrel to 18 inches. I used it that way a while and then last March I decided to have Douglas install a light target 8 twist 24" .243 win barrel. That allows me to shoot the 105 Hornady's and the 107 grain Matchkings quite well, and I've shot some very good groups at extended ranges with the rifle.

So now you know... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dan
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member

My thanks green man,

What a wonderful reason to take such a name .

Thank you for your contributions here. I must confess that I have only skim read your OCW material so far . Why ? well , probably cause whar t I have been doing is working so good so far and I didn't want to wrap my head around any more theories at this point .

May I suggest this , no matter what route one travels to find a " killer" load in his or her rifle , eventually he or she will run across and try all the alternate methods and use what works for them.......Yes ?

May your paths be level and your heart be full of joy,

your friend in Ar, Jim B>
Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member

Yep, really shot a fly!

Used to shoot jack rabbits in the ear about 1/2 way up was optimal. Made em wacky. better targets!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Well, then there's ol Roy [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] Not smart enough to catch onto the full dose of anything. But, let me say this: I learned of the ladder test from Abinok. It took a bit of training on his part. I used it, all wrong at first, but then figgered it out for my way of thinkin'.

Then I learn of this OCW thing from Green788. Again had a hard time figuring it out. But was put through some instruction.

I think I posted something about statistical significance a while back. What I came up with is that I use both systems. I really like the round robin thing. It makes sense. You can see what's going on as you shoot instead of after you're done. Cool!

jimm, for a landscaper you're pretty good. Kind of a soothing temperament. You'll do!

Abinok, thanks for the accelerator. Gave it a shot. Seemed to accelerate the process. Liked it. Will bug sportsmans warehouse or order from one of the big guys.

Have fun shootin'. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]