Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

wanting to start but no clue where...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM

wanting to start but no clue where...

i am wanting to start to reload my own rounds and have read a few articles on this site and it helped some but i am still clueless. I need everything and no idea where to start. I know i need a press, dies, scale, calipers, some lube and stuff what am i missing? Would it be better to buy a kit or buy things separate. Anyone know where i can get an video or step by step on how to do it?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: wanting to start but no clue where...

I would suggest you start with a good reloading manual. Many bullet manufacturers make them and they usually have a good outline of the proceedure in them too.

Shawn at Defensive Edge offers a good reloading video for long range hunting loads. It is more of an advanced video but you will want to see it sooner or later.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

Fisherman,

Plenty of kits out there, but I'd suggest buying your equipment piecemeal. For one thing, there isn't one maker that produces the best of everything. RCBS makes good stuff, as does Redding, Forster, Dillon and Lee and so on. But none of them makes the best of everything, if you get my drift. I think Forster makes the best press, but I like Redding dies. Dillon makes the best dies for loading on progressives, and they make flatly the best progressive presses going. I use very little Lee equipment, but they produce a series of Factory Crimp Dies that are hands-down the greatest crimp dies for use with handguns on the market. You don't have to be monogamous with your equipment, and it's worthwhile to check out the entire field before committing to a purchase based on brand alone.

You may also want to check out the for sale section of sites like this, since you can probably pick up most of what you need. Probably save some $ at the same time. Good advice from Jeff, though, and that's where to start. Pick up one or more relaoding manuals and familiarize yourself with the "how-to" process of relaoding. And don't be bashful about asking questions when you get stumped. We've all been there, and had to start somewhere. Welcome to the hobby, and stay safe!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Bronze Member

Checkout youtube. I watched enough videos and read enough articles that by the time I got all of my equipment together I felt pretty confident in what I was doing. I bought a lyman kit that came with everything I needed except calipers and dies. To get started it's all I needed. I definitely want to invest in better calipers and scale but to get started it was more than sufficient to buy a kit.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Thomas View Post
Plenty of kits out there, but I'd suggest buying your equipment piecemeal.
I will respectfully disagree. I'd get a good RCBS kit. Sure I have some things from just about everyone that I've collected over the years, but to get started making safe ammo that goes bang, and kills critters every bit as dead as that spendy stuff in the stores, get a kit and a good manual. Read it and understand what they say. Those folks that wrote those manuals are the experts. What they say is the truth. What some other experts say (even the nice folks around here) must be taken with a grain of salt. You'll soon get confident and understand that it's really pretty simple and safe to make good ammo. It's like changing your own oil or tying your own flies or any number of other things you can do yourself and do well. A lot of satisfaction comes from it.

-- gr8whyt
Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 AM
Bronze Member

My brother-in-law asked me pretty much the same question. I compared kits to ordering the stuff one piece at a time. I think it come out to around 100 dollars difference but I don't remember which scenario was cheaper. However, in my opinion; getting a kit would probly be the way to go if u don't have a mentore of sorts helping u pick out the various individual components.
I do have one heads up for u. The shell holder will not come with a kit I don't think. ( Least they didn't in mine years ago). When you purchase your dies, it will tell you on the box of dies what size shell holder you will need for that particular case. You will also be best served with full length dies. I would recomend a didgital scale also. Keep your cell phone away from your scale when your scale is turned on or it will send your reading nuts and cause u to constantly recalibrate your scale but to no aveil. I about pulled my hair out before I realized what was causing it.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

Agree with everything said. I had a mentor to lead me thru the basics, and it became the basis for a 35 year friendship.

Caliber dependent, start with a single stage press, the best you can afford. It's hard to beat the RCBS Rockchucker, and they are available on ebay or craigslist for $40 to $100. Get a good scale, Digital is OK but finicky sometimes, a steel caliper, I'm not a digital fan, one or two sets of dies for something easy to load, and follow the manual religiously.

Once these go bang and your accuracy is acceptable, then look to branch out. I used RCBS RS for 30 years before I broke down and got a Rockchucker. Now there are two RS's, two Rockchuckers, three Dillon 550's, and two or three others I am resurrecting for friends.

Go Slow, measure and weigh everything, twice! Ask someone at a range if they reload and would be willing to guide/advise you.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction.