Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

want to start reloading

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Re: want to start reloading

Redding and Forster make the better presses and dies. What powders are you planning to use?

Do some reading before you jump in. Read the how-to sections of some reloading manuals. Searches on forums can be beneficial.

Here's a good discussion:

reloading equipment HELP choosing - Sniper's Hide Forums

Last edited by Winchester 69; 03-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

A friend gave me a DVD copy of RELOADING METALLIC CARTRIDGES...Unknown who puts it out but it's very informative for those starting out!
I purchased a DVD: ADVANCED RELOADING, BEYOND THE BASICS put out by Redding as I had not heard good things about the RCBS beginner DVD...I was not too impressed with the volume of information for the price I paid. I'm hoping it will come in handy a year or two from now
Old 03-10-2010, 08:58 PM

Buy a book called, The ABC's of reloading. Read it from front to back. When your done read it agian. Then start selecting your equipment after that. Ask every question that arises. There are no dumb questions in reloading. But there are dumb accidents because questions were never asked. After you know the info and get started, you will find alot more to reloading that just money saved. Very gratifying, and a great pastime. Good luck, have fun and be safe.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:28 PM

I just got started and am doing it on a shoestring. Rather than get a kit I read and read and read some more. Tried to use product reviews and shopped around for value items with the exception of an expensive press for now, and frankly the used Lee O press I'm using is working just fine. There is a reloaders shop about 50 miles away and I was able to pick up some lightly used equipment to compliment the new things I purchased and although it is a hodge-podge of brand names it all works well together for me for now.
Didn't scrimp on components and have managed to put together some loads that surprised the heck out of me how well they performed. I'm really enjoying doing it and have learned a ton from many sources, sifting through information and implimenting what seems pertinent is all part of the experience. Best wishes.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 264junkie View Post
I just got outfitted myself in the last 3 months and have yet to load my 1st round (but I'm close.) I went with the RCBS Supreme Kit (around $300) but i was still surprised by how much other stuff you needed on top of the kit.
  1. Calipers
  2. Case prep tools
  3. Dies
  4. Shellholders
  5. Case trimmer
  6. Case cleaner
  7. Tumbler
  8. Primers
  9. Powder
  10. Bullets
And in my case I began building my own reloading bench When it rains it pours!
If I had to do it over again I might look a lot closer at the products by LEE & LYMAN. After seeing how much RCBS has jumped it's prices in the last 4 years I kind of feel gouged.
Even though you won't hear it as much, I've spoken with plenty of people that love the products put out by Lyman and Lee. They're top quality and last I checked are still made in the USA.
I have about 3 of everything! I have a couple of Dillons progressives, two RCBS Rockchuckers, and four lee presses. They all have something I like about them. I have to agree with you though. There is a lot of the Lee equipment that is very good and half the price. (Don't buy their shotgun stuff)

So don't be afraid to pick up a set of Lee dies and I always put in a plug for the Lee Auto Prime. It rocks (sorry Chas1) it's cheap and I still haven't wore one out. (I have four of them)
It's a sickness my friend so be careful.

Good shootin'
Tom