Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Want to get into reloading and have a few stupid questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Re: Want to get into reloading and have a few stupid questions

[QUOTE=FOWARDASST;486745] START BY BUYING A LOADING BOOK , A GOOD ONE UP TO DATE. MAKE SURE THAT THE FRONT OF THE BOOK IS SHOWING YOU THE BASIC'S OF GETTING STARTED, ALSO FIND SOMEONE LOCAL AT THE GUN SHOP OR RANGE THAT DOES IT ALREADY, THEN START TO READ AND READ AND READ, AND FOLLOW THE RULS YES THEIR ARE RULES,AND IF YOU BREAK THEM YOU WILL BE IN A WORD OF HURT.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:01 AM
Gold Member

look at dillon. best loaders that come set up in the cal. you choose. just need a good scale and you can start loading.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Thank you all for your replies. I ordered the latest version of the ABC's of Reloading, Hornady 8th edition reloading manual, and the Lyman 49th reloading handbook. I plan on doing a lot of reading before making purchases but hope to be reloading ammo for hunting this fall and winter.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBULLET View Post
look at dillon. best loaders that come set up in the cal. you choose. just need a good scale and you can start loading.
First, the OP wants to get a single stage setup.

Second, the only Dillon reloader that comes set up in the cal you choose is the SDB progressive, and it only loads handgun cartridges, while the OP listed only rifle cartridges to be reloaded.

For low- to moderate volume rifle cartridge reloading, a single stage press is preferable, especially if you are new to reloading.

Kits are offered by many reloading manufacturers, and all of them have serviceable equipment. Some are significantly lower priced, and often become replaced with better equipment as budget allows and experience guides. Others have better equipment to start with, but are much higher in price. NO KITS offer best-in-class tools for every reloading function, because no manufacturer has best in class tools for every function. The best hand primers are not available from the same company that has the best press. And "best" is a highly subjective term anyway, since different users have different preferences anyway.

If it were me, I would start out with a very good book (ABCs of reloading is highly regarded), and a reloading manual or two. Lyman and Hornady are very good, but so are many others. As you gain experience, especially for a brand of bullets, etc. purchasing the reloading manual published by that manufacturer is a good idea. Reloading data from most powder manufacturers is available on their websites for free.

Then I would start with a Lee kit. Then I would use it, and find out what I liked and disliked about it. With that knowledge, I would set out to replace those things I did not like.

If you want to assemble a kit on your own, I have found the following pieces to work best for me:

Forster Co-Ax press (with standard automatic shell holder jaws)
RCBS Universal Hand Primer (square tray)
L.E. Wilson case trimmer
Hornady Cam-Lock collet-type pullet puller

You'll notice I mentioned four different tools, each from a different manufacturer...

Many choices for other pieces of equipment work well, but are not significantly better than one or more alternatives, so I won't go into those.

Andy
Old 03-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

If your looking for a kit get the rcbs. But if your looking for individual components start with the forster co-ax press. I also got the rcbs prep center (saves time).you will be happy with it. Rcbs trim mate. Rcbs chargemaster. I use rcbs and lee dies. Both work really well. Lee priming tool. Definately get good calipers its worth it especially if your going to be anal on measurements ( like me ) . You can also get a lot of knowledge from youtube. It helped me out tremendously. Your going to get scared but you will get the hang of it. Once you do theres no limit. Good luck