Originally Posted by vahena
I am new to reloading and was wondering what you mean by jammed in land? Are you saying to be in the lands10-15 thou. I thought you needed to be around a few thou off the lands.
Any help would be appreciated.
Jammed in land - bullet is way deeper in barrel
Off Land - bullet is far away from the barrel
"I thought you needed to be around a few thou off the lands"
Yes and NO.
Every bullet performs different. Some bullets likes to be "In Land" other "Away from Land" Seated
SMK - shoots awesome - OFF THE LAND (0.20-0.50 thou off the land)
BERGER VLD or BERGER OTM - shoot amazing tight groups Jammed in land (0.10-0.15 thou in land)
Are few reports on this site - some are loading the Berger VLD / OTM Hybrid - far away from the land with good result (0.20-0.30-0.50 thou off the land) and they are happy with.
Main thumb rule is - BERGER - in Land (do not get more then 0.20 thou in land - stay between 0-10-0.20 thou)
SMK - off land (way far away from land)
It is very important - how you figured out where the bullet touching the land.
Option A - (old class)
take a clean case (unprimed)
get a bullet (make sure you sort them by length from tip to bottom)
-IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE 2-3 DUMMY BULLETS THE SAME LENGTH (due to length variation)
- seat the bullet far away (COAL to be very long)
- get a marker or a lighter and smoke the bullet on the ogive area
- slowly insert the bullet on chamber and slowly try to close the bolt
- if you get resistance on closing the bold back off and extract the bullet
- see the rifling marks on the bullet
- seat the die to push the bullet deeper on case
- make sure you seat the bullet in small steps
-re- smoke the bullet on ogive area
- chamber the bullet
- see the marks on bullets
- you have to repeat the above untill you will get just " a tinny hair marks on bullet) with the BOLT CLOSED
- THAT IS 0.3 THOU ON LAND
FROM HERE YOU CAN GO OTHER WAY - INLAND OR OFF LAND
Remember about the sorting of 2 or 3 bullets the same length? Here comes handy why....
Reload another dummy with the same bullet length (the previous one have marks on him from the rifling and can get your dies - wrong readings)
go and by from Sinclair "bullet seating depth tool" around 40-80 US
and follow the instructions on the case.
both options works.