Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Virgin brass vs. fire formed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

Virgin brass vs. fire formed

I found this article interesting,I don't think I will bother fire forming prior to load develpement(why waste bullets and barrell life?).Safari Club International - Detroit Chapter
Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: Virgin brass vs. fire formed

Not sure what this test really accomplished? I don't know of anyone, with the exception of fireforming for ackley cartridges that fireforms standard cartridges. What I and I'm sure most other people do is use virgin brass and test loads and then use those fired cases.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Silver Member

I was alway's under the impression that virgin brass shot alot different than fired brass,because of the interior case capacity changing.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Platinum Member

Accuracy wise, I have never really been able to tell any difference. I prep V brass just as I would fired brass but note it in my journal that it's V brass.
When I first started reloading 25 years ago, I read that accuracy wasn't as good with V brass as it would be with subsequent firings. I got in the habit of denoting V brass in my journal but never the firings afterwards with the same brass (i.e., 1st,2nd,3rd,etc.). Don't know why, guess it was my "mulligan" in case the groups were crappy. I hate those kind cause in the back of my mind I know I should try them over with fire-formed brass, just to see! OCD?
I have had some mighty fine groups using V brass in every caliber I have reloaded for. Some have been repeatable, some haven't. In my mind it holds about as much water as the full length vs. neck sizing theory! Who really knows? Just load, shoot and reload some more to get your "group therapy". lol. JohnnyK.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

"I was alway's under the impression that virgin brass shot alot different than fired brass,because of the interior case capacity changing."

I've read that "serious expert" pronouncement too. Always make me wonder if the writer had ever actually done it. If average accuracy changes between virgin brass and four times fired, I can't prove it.

I figured the chamber pressure was quite enough to move the "tight" brass case into a precise fit within the chamber very well, and pretty fast too!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Bronze Member

I haven't seen a difference in accuracy, but I did notice a difference in POI on target by about 1" between virgin and fired brass.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

"... I did notice a difference in POI on target by about 1" between virgin and fired brass."

Sure wouldn't ever say anything CAN'T happen, it just hasn't happened to me. At what range did that 1" impact shift occur?