Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Vibrating cases for compressed loads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Vibrating cases for compressed loads

Was talking to an old timer the other day about reloading and compressed loads. He said for those stick powder loads that didn't quite get all in the case he used an electric shaver against the side to get the powder to settle enough to get it all in there. It works.

I am currently using Re22 in a 30-06 case 61.5 grains and am getting close to a compressed load. If I run my Dremel tool and hold the lower SIDE (not the bottom) of the case to it the powder settles and the entire neck is empty, ready for the bullet. I have also found that if I trickle the powder into the funnel and bank it off of the side (kind of letting it circle the funnel like water in a toilet bowl) it settles much better than just dumping the whole load into the bottom of the funnel where it just jams up.

Is there an issue with vibrating the case to get the extra space (powdering of the load, etc)? If so, how do you guys do it? Don't really know how you would get a whole compressed load of Re22 in there without doing something like this, especially on new brass with a heavy bullet.

Thanks.

Last edited by tlk; 09-05-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Vibrating cases for compressed loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlk View Post
Was talking to an old timer the other day about reloading and compressed loads. He said for those stick powder loads that didn't quite get all in the case he used an electric shaver against the side to get the powder to settle enough to get it all in there. It works.

I am currently using Re22 in a 30-06 case 61.5 grains and am getting close to a compressed load. If I run my Dremel tool and hold the lower SIDE (not the bottom) of the case to it the powder settles and the entire neck is empty, ready for the bullet. I have also found that if I trickle the powder into the funnel and bank it off of the side (kind of letting it circle the funnel like water in a toilet bowl) it settles much better than just dumping the whole load into the bottom of the funnel where it just jams up.

Is there an issue with vibrating the case to get the extra space (powdering of the load, etc)? If so, how do you guys do it? Don't really know how you would get a whole compressed load of Re22 in there without doing something like this, especially on new brass with a heavy bullet.

Thanks.
A drop tub will do the same thing and is faster.

J E CUSTOM
Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Gold Member

Electric engraver

Those SOB's really vibrate
Old 09-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

I load black powder cartridges and you need to use a long 24" drop tube to get the powder in the case. But I have found that I can hold the case on top of my vib case tumbler and it settles the powder down really quick.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Platinum Member

I get 63 grains of R22 in the 06 case by useing a 4" drop tube and pouring slowly on the side of the funnel. Vibrateing the case works but it tends to spit a little out and is not as consistant?
Old 09-07-2009, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

A slow pour into a drop tube has always worked well for me. I'd rather not bother with vibrating every individual case. I think before I went that far I'd just use a slightly faster powder.