Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Very first ladder test, take a look.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

Re: Very first ladder test, take a look.

Looks like your off and running now. Not having a chrono, isn't such a disadvantage as some folks seem to get hung up with velocity issues. Not that the velocity isn't important, but if your staying within the standard listed loads, not seeing pressure signs, and getting good to great groups, what does it matter what the velocity is.

If you have some sort of ballistic software, you can get pretty close to your velocity doing drop test at various ranges. Either way, you will still know if X-load shot 1" high at 100 and 3"-low at 400, your good to go out to 400 with a dead on hold.

I had a load I worked up years ago for my mom to shoot in a 270 Win. using a 130gr BT and IMR - 3031. the velocity was only about 2700 - 2750, but the load shot under an inch from bags out to 200yds. I shot pleanty of deer with it out to 400 yds that just dropped like you unplugged them, and the bullet generally did very little meat damage. The recoil was little more than a .243. Mom took several nice deer with it before she finially gave up hunting due to health issues.

After several years of playing with other loads in that rifle, I find myself looking back at that load more and more.

Good luck in your new endeavers and remember, velocity is nice, but a tight consistant group is much better in the long run. Once you hit one or two good loads you will know what I mean.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"
Old 01-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Platinum Member

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for your help! What range would you do the accuracy testing at?
This is fun. I've been trying to decide which rifle to buy next. After today, I know; a new spotting scope.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear ya on the spotting scope. That was my very next purchase when I learned that 100yds was too short for a ladder test.

Not only fun but exciting to see someone getting a good start, you're right on track, my man! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] I wonder how much more fun life would have been had I learned of the ladder test 30 years earlier. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

You didn't mention which primers you are using....

If you are using Magnum primers, when you settle on your accurate load try the large rifle primers with it. I realized a large increase in smaller groups w/the standard large rife primers. However I am using RL-22 in the 270 Win. Got to pressure limits before I got the velocity I got to the velocity range I wanted w/RL-19. I was quite suprised that even with the slower powder the standard primer was better all the way around (repeatability and way lower standard deviations). It seems the ol' 270 just doesn't have enough case capacity to warrant use of a magnum primer..... Was told that and tried it after using Magnums for 30+ years.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Keep having fun. You'll go a long ways w/that 270 it looks like it has plenty of accuracy potential.

I'd do my accuracy test @ 100 cause you're gonna get some bug hole groups and no matter what anyone says, a 1/4 MOA group @ 100 way more exciting than a 1/4 MOA group at 300. Those get stuck on the fridge door for months. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Once ya get a couple of bug holes then do all shooting at 300+ it'll make you a better shooter. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 07:29 AM
Gold Member

Here's a better way... (if I do say so myself) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]...

www.clik.to/optimalchargeweight

and on OCW versus the ladder test, read Round robin (OCW) versus the ladder test...

Dan
Old 01-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2006, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

optimal charge weight.

I read that before doing the test. I shot seventeen charge weights. X 3 would be a hell of a lot of shooting. Not to mention take all day. I agree it would eliminate some questions, such as, "Where's 14 going?". It would also show gouping. The groups should shrink coming into the nodes. Not a bad idea now that I've narrowed the field.

Roy,
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm glad to hear somebody else thinks the rifle has the potential. I just bedded it in a Boyds stock. It feels rock solid now.

I'm using Federal 210's, as this seemed to be the consensus when I did my research to pick parts for the load. Also Remington once fired, cause I have them.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: optimal charge weight.

Rem cases are heavier that W-W. Will reach pressures sooner. Also I think W-W brass it a skoshie bit tougher.

I'm a velocity hawg and if a 130/140 bullet doesn't approach 3200 I get a bit down in the mouth.

Best accuracy has been with Nosler 130 ballistic tips and Hornady 140 btsp.

I've shot the cartridge since 1966 and had worked my way out to 640 yds when I got the LRH bug, before I gave the rifle to my son due to not wanting to change anything about it when I switched to shooting from the south side.

Post a pic or so. Am having one built with a Boyd's stock.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Gold Member

Yep 4ked, id agree on all points. 4-6 will probably be good, but id imagine that the higher node would have morve velocity. not knowing for sure about 14, id start work on both sides of it, if it meats in the middle, GREAT!
I id have a bit of a head start, since GRIT mentioned the wind in his email.

Dan, nice to see you over hear, ive read a lot of your stuff elsewhere, and found that you and I tend to agree on a lot of things. I missed your posts up to now, welcome aboard!
Oh, and one other thing, for everybody thinging you need a good spotting scope to shoot a ladder, no scope needed. I don't use one at 300, and never have. My sony video camera placed about 50ft short, and a bit to the right of the line of fire makes plotting shots easy.
if you don't have a vid camera, or can't afford one at the present, get you some of the large square "dirtybird" targets that are designed for sighting in. WOrk just like the shoot n see targets, but are much cheaper.