Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Reloading

Reloading Techniques For Reloading

Velosity change with bullet change?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Silver Member

Velosity change with bullet change?

I'm changing from Nosler BT's to Berger VLDH both 140 grains in 7mm-08 shooting 42 grains of Varget. I was just wondering if you guys think I will see much if any velosity change?

Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Velosity change with bullet change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13point View Post
I'm changing from Nosler BT's to Berger VLDH both 140 grains in 7mm-08 shooting 42 grains of Varget. I was just wondering if you guys think I will see much if any velosity change?

Thanks

Different bullets have different bearing surfaces and sometimes different jacket alloys and this
could change the pressure and velocity so I would recomend dropping your powder charge 1 grain
to start with.

It is allways wise to reduce the powder charge when changing any component.

I have seen over a 100 ft/sec change in velocity from one bullet to another without any
powder/primer changes.

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

your at book listed max for the Nosler. Book max for the Berger is 41.7gr
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Guys,

I didn't really mean to get into the load ?'s. I was just using that for ref. I've shot this load in several rifles with very good results. I'm loading them just off the lands so I've not had any pressure issues. My problem is I live on a farm in the city so I can't tinker with things much, I can see the clock on the court house . I have to drive an hour to get to a shooting range. I shot this load with the 140 berger quick to see if it would group. I didn't think to try to check the vel. on it just in case, and it shot a 1/4 inch group. I was just wondering if anyone had seen any big velosity changes just by switching bullets. I wouldn't think the Berger would be any slower than the Noslers? I quess by JE's experience 100 fps one way or the other is very possible. This 7mm-08 accuracy keeps getting better and better. I just hope my 6.5x47 will give it a run with a little work.